"Yeah?" I asked again to confirm, grinning like an idiot.

She nodded and looked at the clock.

"Break's over. Get your ass back in there." she said in the serious tone but with a playful hint in her eyes.

I know she's just messing around. I stick a tongue out at her and walked passed her to the door. I heard her giggle as I walked out of the room.

~~~

Eventually, rehearsal was over, Jade and I decided to meet at the break-room after we freshen up. She went to her office as I went to the shower and locker room. After I finished, I went to the break-room and Jade was already there waiting for me. I walked up to her and she smiled.

"Ready for coffee?" she asked. I nodded but I have an idea.

"How about we race to the front doors? Loser buys coffee, winner gets taunting rights." I beamed a wattage of smile at her.

"You got a deal." she told me as she laughs.

I took that opportunity to sprint out of the room. I heard her yell my name but I didn't look back, I know she's running after me. I went to the stairs knowing that the elevator will take more time. I dodged the plant pot at the bottom of the stairs, nearly tripping over it. Almost there, almost there... I was going to beat her, goddammit. I gritted my teeth and pushed harder. I could see the doors, few meters away. I ran faster. Then I saw someone sitting on a bench just outside the doors. Jade. Sitting on the bench, looking like she just stepped out of a Nike commercial, not like she just run out of the building. Sonofabitch.

I slowed to an abrupt stop, gasping for air. My legs felt shaky and I put my hands on my knees, closing my eyes and fighting off a spell of lightheadedness. Footsteps approached along the path and I opened my eyes, still struggling for breath. A pair of shoes came into my line of vision. I coughed and straightened slowly, still slightly dizzy.

"Don't... say it... Thirlwall..." I warned, looking over at her.

As I watched, the slightly cocky, taunting grin she'd been wearing was chased off her face by wide-eyed concern.

"Jeez, Perrie. Are you all right?" she stepped forward and placed a steadying hand on my back.

I just nodded, bending over again until my breathing finally eased a little. Jade didn't say anything, but she didn't move away, her hand on my back making slow, gentle circles. I straightened finally and stifled a disappointed sigh as she dropped her hand.

"How in the heck did you get out here so fast?" I finally asked when I had enough oxygen left over for talking.

"I uh.. went a different way." she said, a glimmer of humor in her eyes.

"I didn't know there was another way than the stairs and the elevator." I put my hands on my hips and frowned.

"Well, this is my building. So I know all of the ways out of it. Why didn't you use the elevator instead?" she started laughing, backing slowly away from me.

I stalked towards her and she moved backwards, laughing outright. When I lunged, she yelped and sprinted away, still laughing over her shoulder. I started after her, my own laughter welling up helplessly. I felt happy and giddy chasing Jade across the parking lot like we were a couple of kids, with no thought of what I'd do if I actually caught her.

Until I did.

She headed for a gray Audi that I recognized as hers, slowing to pull something out of her pocket, probably the keys. I pressed my advantage and caught her just as she was reaching for the car door, wrapping my arms around her from behind and holding tightly.

"Not so fast, young lady." I growled in her ear, still laughing and delighting in her return laughter.

Until the feel of her hair in my face and the heat from her skin, just inches from my lips, registered. Until I noticed the press of my breasts against her back and the feel of my arms across her stomach and the sudden, absolute stillness of her body. Neither of us was laughing anymore.

"Perrie." her voice was soft, with a slight tremor.

My arms tightened involuntarily, then loosened, falling to my sides as I slowly stepped back. She turned around slowly and I looked at her face, before her mask dropped back to place, I saw the flash of it, felt the heat... Jade wanted me. I'd had that look directed at me enough to know, and I knew. Jade Thirlwall wanted me. Then the mask fell back in place and we stared at each other for long moments. I wanted to push her against the car and kiss her senseless. I wanted to bury my face in her neck, to wrap my arms around her and not let go. Instead, I smiled shakily and took another step back.

"You cheated." I said. And you're a chickenshit, Edwards.

She looked as though she was going to take a step forward and close the distance between us, but then she leaned back against the car and smiled slightly.

"Guess that means I owe you coffee." she snickered.

"Hey, lady!" a yell behind me startled us both.

I turned around to find a security guy, jogging in our direction, holding out a blue wad of cloth in one hand.

"This your stuff? You dropped it back there." he gestured at the path where we ran through.

I stepped forward to meet him, sheepishly took my towel, and thanking him. He nodded before he jogged away. I turned to find Jade inside her car, staring at her steering wheel with intense concentration.

"Trying to start the car through the power of your mind? I bet the key would work better." I chuckled as I stepped over.

"Perrie, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to get you back on the coffee, okay? I just remembered a thing I need to do." she said with a tiny smile.

"Uh... okay, sure." I blinked and stepped back hastily as she started the car and put it in gear.

"Jade?" I called for her, but she just waved briefly and pulled away.

What the hell just happened?

--

Ugh!😩😩😩 Please leave a comment, and vote if you liked this chapter. Thanks so much! 💋💋💋

- R xx