Chapter Twenty Seven

May

Well, it's been two months since I last saw Bradley Simpson and one word that I constantly use can describe it.

Pain.

It's such a commonly used word. You're stomach is in pain, your head is painful or your broken arm is in pain. But this pain is different. This is as if someone had cut my heart out. My chest hurt and was in pain. I did go outside though. I would take Taurus for his walks and little kids would ask to pet him. I would always say yes after asking their parents.

I walked down the street and smelled something strange but familiar. I walked towards the smell and felt out in front of me. I touched a stand.

"Where am I?" I said out loud to no one specific.

"Quartz Diner." A female voice answered. I knew immediately where I was.

It was the place Bradley took me to. They carried a strange but common food that was a mixture of Waffles and chicken.

"Table for one please." I whispered and I told Taurus to follow the lady.

"Do you need a menu?" She sounded as if she didn't want to offend me.

"No thank you." I smiled. "I already know what I want."

"Would you like me to take the order then?"

"Can I have one glazed chocolate donut." I whispered and my eyes watered when I thought of where I got the idea.

Bradley's favorite donut I would bring him.

"Of course." She said and I heard her retreat.

I ate the donut slowly, savoring it. My thoughts were jumbled and I felt closer to Bradley when I ate the donut for some reason, like he was sitting close to me, laughing as we ate our own together.

___________

Bradley

I sat on the concrete, knowing the small crowd I was gathering as my hands frantically moved the white chalk around the side walk. I would stand and look at it ever few strokes, or sit back on my knees to observe the progress. She's all I could do. She's all I did. She's all I thought.

Her hair was white in this but it was still her and her staring beautiful eyes. Her small face and beautiful smile.

"Are you drawing her?" A voice asked and I turned in the direction of it.

"Who?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

The man pointed across the street at a girl with a messy bun of blonde hair, staring forward while walking a white dog down the wide walk.

I choked loudly and my ears rang at the sight of her. May was near me, not even fifty feet from me.

"You okay?" The man asked and went to put his hand against my back. I walked backwards quickly and turned to run away, far away from here.

I can't have her hear my voice and become broken again. I can't let that happen. I care about her too much.

For once, I didn't cry as I jogged up the stairs of Linda's house to my bedroom. I didn't cry because I knew there wasn't anything left of me to cry for. Why try to live if lives not worth living? I've contributed nothing to this world in my twenty years.

The point of humanity is still unknown to this day, but while others are saving lives and creating, I don't want to be the one that can't.

So I stared at the wall in front of me and ran my hand over all the curves and intends I purposely made. I closed my eyes and took in a jagged breath as the feeling.

I opened my eyes and saw the drawing I made of her with the paper from the basement and knew then what I needed to do for the better of the world.

________________________

Get ready

-Rose