Chapter 44

"How you like that possum chicken?" the swamp man Due questions. 

Looking down at my uneaten possum chicken, I cringe. Even though I've spent almost a few weeks with Earth Kingdom food, it's nothing compared to the luxurious food back on the ship. What I would do for some roasted duck.

"Tastes just like arctic hen. So why were you guys so interested in eating Appa?" Sokka questions, pointing over to some kind of scaled creature curled up to the man "You've got plenty of those big things wandering around."

"You want me to eat old Slim? He's like a member of the family!" Due cries out, clearly offended. So far, these Swamp People are quite different from society. Unlike Katara and Sokka, the people of the swamp wore little to nothing. 

"Nice Slim" Sokka calls, throwing a large bug towards the creature. With the snap of it's jaws, Sokka scoots behind me in fear. 

"Oh, he don't eat no bugs! That's people food" Due chuckles, bile rising up in my throat at the thought of eating the large bugs around us.

"Where'd you say you was from?" Another man, named Tho asks Katara. Smiling, she says "The South Pole."

"Didn't know there was waterbenders anywhere but here. They got a nice swamp there, do they?" Tho questions.

"No, it's all ice and snow" Katara replies.

"Mhm, no wonder you left" Tho states, unimpressed.

Looking at Katara, Sokka says "Well, I hope you realize now that nothing strange was going on here. Just a bunch of greasy people living in a swamp." 

"What about the visions?" Katara presses.

"You guys had visions too?" I instantly ask, my eyebrows furrowed. 

Katara looks up to me, her blue eyes faded. "Yeah, I thought I saw my Mom" she says, her fingers moving to her necklace "Some of the swamp folk say we just see people we love..or people we've lost."

"I saw my father" I note "It seemed so real."

Lips pressed into a frown, Katara scoots to me, wrapping me into a hug. Sighing, I accept the warm hug, knowing this time, it was real, and not some mind trick.

"I still think it's because we were hungry" Sokka grumbles, holding up his meal "I'm eating a giant bug!"  Rolling her eyes, Katara pulls away, sending me a warm smile.

"But what about when the tree showed me where Appa and Momo were?" Aang asks, handing Momo some seeds. 

"That's Avatar stuff, that doesn't count" Sokka states, turning to another man "The only thing I can't figure out is how you made that tornado that sucked us down."

"I can't do anything like that. I just bend the water in the plants" the man states, shrugging his shoulders.