Chapter 4

Slipping on the small amount of armor I had, I was ready to stand by my cousin.

Slipping on his helmet, a cruel look crosses his face.

I knew that look.

The last time he had that look, a ship was left to sink within Earth Kingdom waters. And it was simply because he 'felt' that the Avatar was on the ship.

"Zuko" I say sharply, glancing at him "You will show kindness to this tribe."

Not giving me an answer, I scoff. Shaking my head, I look forward, where the tip of the ship falls slowly, giving us a pathway.

With Grandpa staying in the hull of the ship, it is up to me to keep Zuko safe and in control.

He and I walk in sync down the steps, multiple soldiers marching behind us.

Instantly, I see that the tribe couldn't be more than 20 people, and most of them were children. A girl who couldn't be a few years younger than me clutches to who I presume is her Grandmother. But in her large eyes, I see anger as well as fear.

Taking another sweep, I see no grown men, no sign of military.

However, I'm proven wrong as a battle cry rips through the air.

The oldest male runs forward, his face painted. I almost move forward to stop him, but Zuko kicks him to the side.

"Where are you hiding him?" Zuko growls angrily as we come face to face with the village.

The people stay silent, giving me an eerie feeling.

Zuko reaches forward, grabbing the Grandmother who I saw earlier. "He'd be about this age, master of all elements?" he growls before shoving her back into the crowd. 

With no one talking, he shoots a blade of fire over their heads, causing them to scream.

"Prince Zuko" I snap angrily, grabbing his arm so he cannot shoot another blade. I glare into his eyes, which are filled with anger and desperation.

He snaps away from my grip and my gaze "I know you're hiding him!" 

Suddenly, the boy runs forward again with a club. Taking the issue, I walk forward. Ducking, I dodge his large swing. And while his body is outstretched, I shove him to the ground.

Zuko of course takes things further by trying to fry the Water Tribe boy. I have to say, the boy moves out of the way quickly. Ripping out a boomerang, he throws it, missing Zuko.

"Show no fear!" a small boy yells, throwing the older boy a spear. 

He charges, but Zuko quickly destroys most of it before knocking the Water Tribe boy with it, making him fall.

Zuko growls at the boy, but is soon met with a boomerang to the head.

I sigh, knowing that will surely send him over the edge.

Zuko growls yet again, two large fire daggers ready to fight.

But he is interrupted by a bald boy on some kind of animal. Zuko is knocked to the ground, his helmet flying off his head and landing onto his behind.

The crowd cheers as the bald boy rides in, a large smile on his face.

I gaze at the tattoos that cover the boys body. They form arrows at his hands, and his forehead.

"Impossible" I mumble to myself, eyes widening.

He was the Avatar.

Zuko steps to my side once again, another ugly scowl on his face.

The Avatar turns, his own battle face painting his expression.

Before I could even get into a fighting stance, I'm thrown to the the ground, snow covering my body.

"Azara, get up, now" Zuko growls, the snow melting off of his body.

Sending him a glare, I stand up, the snow dripping off of me.  "Looking for me?" the Avatar says, glaring at Zuko and I.

"You're the airbender? You're the Avatar?" Zuko exclaims in shock, causing a murmur of chatter to go throughout the Water Tribe people. 

"Yes Prince  Zuko, do you not see the arrows on his head?" I question, rolling my eyes.

Ignoring me, Zuko continues to talk to the Avatar "I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training, meditating. You're just a child!"

The Avatar cocks his head in confusion "And you're just a teenager, both of you."

I stand by, watching as Zuko blasts fire at the Avatar, who simply twirls his stick, causing it to fade. However, the fire reaches over the villagers, making them scream yet again.

"Prince Zuko" I snap as the Avatar quickly says "If I go with you,  will you promise to leave everyone alone?"

I gaze at Zuko, who firmly nods.

I sigh, watching as the soldiers take hold of the Avatar.

The teenage girl yells out "No! Aang, don't do this! "

"Don't worry, Katara. It'll be okay. Take care of Appa for me until I get back." the boy who I guess is Aang smiles calmly.

I walk alongside the Avatar as he is shoved up the walkway. I sense the sadness from the Tribe, but I keep y mouth shut.

"Head a course for the Fire Nation. I'm going home" Zuko cries out happily.