Chapter 33- A Night Of Revealing Truths and Confessions part 1

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Mia, there’s no reason for you to look at me like I have a third eye… it was both of our decision,” she tried to explain to me.

Lauren had just told me that her and Derek have decided to see other people after summer break is over. Which I couldn’t quite comprehend seeing as the both of them couldn’t keep their hands off each other for more than two seconds. It just seemed so sudden to me, “Lauren, I thought you and Derek were getting serious, I mean… weren't you?” I asked still complete confused. 

Lauren, who was looking at herself in the floor length mirror with the new dress she had just bought for tonight pressed against her front, turned around to face me, “I wouldn’t say that, I mean, yes we are seriously into each other, but our relationship at the end of it all is nothing more than a summer fling. We were, you know, having fun and now that summer break will be over in a few days its time to move on,” she said before turning back to the mirror to continue analyzing the dress against her. 

Shaking my head, I got up from my spot on the bed and walked over to stand beside her, “Lauren you mean to tell me your okay with Derek seeing other people. That doesn’t bother you?”

At my words, I caught a flash of something shoot across her face before she covered it with one of her nonchalant expressions and twisted to face me, “Of course not,” she said before walking back over to her closet door to hang the dress back in its place, “I mean come on Mia, can you see me and Derek in a long distance relationship, honestly?” she asked as she turned to face me again. 

Before I could answer she continued on, “How long do you think we would last before one of use cheated on the other? No, it’s better this way, believe me,” she said as she walked over to her dresser and began ruffling through it.

Watching my friend silently, I wondered if she meant everything she just said or was this her way of hiding what she really felt. I’ve known Lauren for some time now and even though she puts up this front like she doesn’t want a serious relationship with anyone, I know there’s a small part of her that longs for something more than a summer hookup and fun. And seeing her act the way she has when it comes to Derek all summer makes me think this agreement to see other people was more his idea than hers. 

Sighing softly to myself, I pushed my concerned thoughts about my friend away for now and sat back down on the bed, “What are you doing over there?” I asked once I noticed her still searching through her dresser draws.

“I’m trying to find my backless push up bra so I can wear it tonight with my dress,” she said before twisting around quickly with a grin, “Speaking of dress and bras I have a feeling Jacob’s gonna love yours, he’s not gonna be able to take his eyes off you,” she said nudging my shoulder playfully.

I began to blush as a smile spread across my face, “Well that was my whole point in buying them,” I said as my blush deepened.

Lauren squealed loudly at my words, “Oh my God, who is this bold and confident woman and what have she done with my shy best friend,” Lauren said in surprise causing both of us to laugh at her craziness.

Once our laughter died down, Lauren looked over at her phone for the time, “Oh shoot, it’s already eleven-thirty, if we want to be ready in time for the guys to pick us up then we better get going,” Lauren said referring to the big event of the evening and also what I’ve been inwardly dreading to go to for the last few days. 

It was the day of Jacob’s mother’s Charity event. Which meant, black ties, ball gowns and bidding on high prices artworks and an array of people from Virginia’s most respected high society. Most importantly it meant I would have to deal with Jacob’s mother and Gabby.

And considering the fact that Jacob didn’t listen to his mother and agree to escort Gabby to her function, I had a feeling I would be receiving more of his mother’s harassment than usual. 

The expression on my face must have mirrored my thoughts because Lauren gave me another nudge and shot me a stern look, “Hey, cut it out, don’t worry about The Wicked Witch tonight. Just have a good time and besides you’ll be with Jacob all night, she wouldn’t dare do anything with her son watching.” 

Giving a slight nod, I agreed with her, “Yeah your right, I just need to forget about his mother and Gabby. We only have two days left until we leave and I don’t want to waste it. Alright,” I finished as I stood up from her bed, “I’ma go get my things and then we’ll leave. Meet you out front?” I said as I made my way out of her room.

Getting up herself, Lauren shot me a smile, “Yeah, I’ll be out there in a minute.”

As I began to walk to my room, I stopped short when I noticed Lauren sit back on her bed. Narrowing my eyes I watched as her shoulders slumped before she rested her face in the palms of her hands with a deep sigh. 

I knew it, despite everything Lauren had said earlier, I knew it was all an act. My best friend was hurting more than she was letting on. 

Giving a quiet sigh of my own, I finished my decent down the hall towards my room, all the while cursing Derek for breaking my best friends heart.