Surprisingly, she's seated behind the desk with her feet kicked up while eating fried food shoved in the plastic container.

"You look like you've seen a ghost Pierce," Scarlett comments.

"Close enough," I mutter.

I leap behind the desk which earns me a weird glance.

"What the hell are you doing? You can't be back here!" Scarlett places the container on the desk, then moves her chair back to look at me. I rest my back against the desk and place my finger against my lips.

"Shh."

"Spit it," she replies.

"My mother. If she comes in, don't tell her I'm here," I explain.

Scarlett leans back in her chair and frowns. "Wouldn't it be better if you . . ."

The door squeaks open, which cuts Scarlett off.

"Please?" I whisper.

Scarlett swivels her chair closer to the desk. From my shaded view, I see a tight smile appear.

"Hi there, I'm Scarlett. How can I help you?" she inquires.

"I'm, um, looking for someone," she skittishly mutters. "I think my son, Pierce Davenport, is staying here." Her voice is hopeful but leaves my heart swirling within the pain. I did this to her.

"I can't-"

"I know, but please tell me," she pleads. "I need to know he's okay."

"He left a couple of days ago, muttered something about a bus and took off," Scarlett explains.

"Did he mention where he was going?" she asks.

"I'm sorry. He didn't say anything."

"Do you, uh." There's a pause. "Do you think he was happy?"

"Yes."

"Thank you for your time, Scarlett."

I hold my breath as I wait for the sound of the door to close. As it slams shut, I flinch back and sigh with discontent. I've made many bad choices in life.

Scarlett's chair croaks as she turns to me.

"Do you want to explain that?" she demands.

"You already know the answer," I reply.

My head hits the wooden desk with a thud. I drop my gaze to my fingers and wait for her response.

"Why don't you talk to your mother?" She asks like it's the easiest way to go, but it isn't.

"If I see her, I'll be forced to go home," I reply.

"Your parents can't force you to leave," she grumbles. "You're an adult and you can do what you want."

"I know." I sigh. "It's just that I don't want the guilt to set in. If it does . . ."

"Are you kidding me, Pierce?" He voice escalates. "I thought you weren't that type of guy?" Her brows raised.

"What kind?" I laughingly joke. "The one to kidnap? If you thought that, you were severely wrong."

"How about a simple message?" she offers.

I shift to kneeling in front of her chair, hands on either side.

"I'll take your suggestion into consideration." I smile.

"You should," she insists.

I pull the chair towards me. Scarlett leans forwards, which allows her red hair to cascade over her shoulder.

"How is Ricky?" I change the subject.

"Grumpy." Scarlett sighs.

"Does that mean I can finally take you out?" I question.

"I don't know." A small smile floats onto her lips. Within the next moment, she leans against her chair and smirks.

"Just say yes." I place my hand on her knee.

"Fine Pierce, we can do something." She places her foot on my chest, then shoves me backward. I fall onto my back and lay on the ground. "Don't think I'll be waiting around either."

"Sitting around is still waiting around for me," I tease.

Scarlett tries to move away, but I trap my shoe under the wheel and stop it from moving.

"Get out of here." Scarlett spins around in her chair.

"You love it when I'm here." I smile.

"You're also lying on the floor," she replies.

"At least I'm with you."

Scarlett doesn't make another comment, so I lay on the ground thinking.

My stomach is consumed with guilt because I've never handled things properly. Though, I manage to shove it aside because all that's on my mind is Scarlett and I don't feel any guilt when it comes to her.

 Though, I manage to shove it aside because all that's on my mind is Scarlett and I don't feel any guilt when it comes to her

Do you think Pierce should have pushed his mother away? Do you think he'll send her a message like Scarlett suggested?