13 | Guilt

13 | Guilt

Numbers are easy. They are straight forward numerical values which don't change despite the context. One plus one will always equal two. Words are different. They will never mean the same because words have many meanings.

Words are like girls. They are complex and they change.

Scarlett is the exception. One moment she's a number and other times she's a complex word. The thought of Scarlett often leaves my head spinning, but there's an enormous part of me that loves it.

My brain is numb from numbers. It is the same generic pattern printed page after page that leaves me displeased with the workload. I never realised how daunting bookkeeping could really be.

I thought this challenge would take my mind away from Scarlett. But the hardest problem I'm struggling to work out isn't the ones printed in this book, but the girl across the street.

What is she really thinking? Do I want to know?

I'm almost ten pages in and I don't think I'll ever make it to the other side. I'm beginning to understand why Bruce decided to pass this on; I would too.

The bell above the door jungle as someone steps inside of the establishment. I look up to see Scarlett walking towards the front counter. I dip behind the polished napkin dispenser to hide.

Scarlett hands Gloria money and in return, she passes her a plastic bag filled with takeaway containers. She doesn't look around the diner, instead, she puts one foot in front of the other and walks back to Ricky. I'm beginning to dislike him further.

I miss seeing Scarlett perched behind her desk. She's hardly ever there now. Now, she moves between the back room and Ricky's bedside. He's becoming a solid reminder of the placing I'm beginning to call home.

* * *

I promptly finish work by mid-afternoon. I pack the papers into the folder, collect my belongings and head to the counter. Gloria takes the folder and places it on the counter for later.

"Have a good day." I smile.

"Same for you Pierce," she replies.

Waving over my shoulder, I head towards the door until I notice the thin brown headed woman walking up the street. I leap back and take a seat in the closest free both. I flip my hoodie on and hide behind a discarded menu. She can't see me here.

The door chimes open and she steps inside. Her heels click against the scuffed flooring as she heads towards the counter. I take this moment to run.

I shove the door open and quickly walk across the street. The bright flickering light of the motel sign comes into view as I rip the door open and run towards Scarlett's desk.