Chapter 53: As One We See

Writer's block has returned .-.

Curse my bad luck-

EDIT: Please keep in mind that AFTON IS CALLED VINCENT IN THIS BOOK,  NOT WILLIAM!

***

Aphmau was used to strange dreams.

Ever since that dream in Phoenix Drop High about a strange mix of an Alice in Wonderland type world, she'd finally dubbed her mind as being an oddity.

But this dream was special.

It was shared.

She wasn't sure how she exactly knew that, but she felt another presence as she dreamt.

The plain around her was nothing but white mist.

"Matron?"

Her voice was croaked, faded to nothing but a bitter whisper.

"Aphmau!" 

The word sounded almost unfamiliar to the voice.

Matron was running to her, arms outstretched.

Her form was so solid, Aphmau remained stunned for a moment as Matron approached.

Matron stopped a few feet short. "Thank the lord. Are you the real one?"

Aphmau twitched at that. "Real one?"

"I've...been seeing things in this place." Matron shuddered. "Many copies, don't wanna go into it."

"Okay..." Aphmau's neck hairs rose as Matron got closer.

"Come on!" Matron cheerfully started her way to the east, or at least, Aphmau's east.

"W-where are we going?" Aphmau asked, stepping after the bouncing redhead.

"Somewhere." Matron's voice sounded faraway.

Aphmau stopped mid-step. "I don't think-"

She looked around at the empty white one last time, and her final decision was made.

"Ugh, fine."

She was brought into a room of black.

She looked around, stunned, noticing giant window-like panels creating an art gallery of a hallway.

Then she realized Matron was gone.

"Hey!" She shouted, but her voice echoed right back at her, 'Hey, hey, hey...'

 "I..."

The panels around her shook, images glitching onto the screen as they floated.

The first panel was a woman, a shadow covering her eyes, but shiny red hair glossing down.

A true red-haired beauty, clutching a small, cloth wrapped bundle.

The image had a man next to her, something that almost made her double over in shock.

A dark haired man, smiling, eyes glinting happily.

It was her dad.

Aphmau held her hand to her stomach, suddenly remembering the recent events of her wound.

There was nothing there, such a stain of red, but she felt nothing.

A sigh of relief breathed across the black.

Dreams were supposedly painless, but Aphmau wasn't sure if that applied mentally too.

The image flickered, and suddenly, there was blood.