Chapter 48: Sweeter Days

Peace.

What is it?

Calmness? Quiet? Settled?

Everybody has their own definition and meaning to the word.

Whether it be an old score that must be resolved, or a simple time of relaxation, peace is often viewed as a soft, delicate thing.

For Aphmau, it's currently trying to eat a chocolate almond ice cream bar while also trying to dodge little kids charging at her like maniacs.

Well, technically, they weren't charging directly at her.

But in her general direction nonetheless.

Why?

...

She blamed Matron.

And Castor.

***

A few minutes ago...

"ICE CREAM!!!" 

A squeal came off her right.

Ever since the incident with the chickens, Castor was hastily bringing his chicks back to wherever he stored them (Maybe Narnia?) while the others were rounding up strays that had broken away from the flock.

Aphmau had been proudly holding a large hen, which was basically as much her noddle arms could carry.

"Come on Henry!" Aphmau giggled, resulting in Aaron both internally face-palmed and saying, "Uhhh, you realize that's a lady chicken?"

Henry bawked, mockingly offending Aphmau as she fluttered her wings and started clawing Aphmau's arms.

"Hey, stop it!" Aphmau hissed.

Henry stopped, but still gave her the death glare.

Out of literally nowhere, Castor popped up in a cloud of feather and said, "Her name is Cluckerina!" And instantly popped away, singing something under his breath while carrying at least nine chickens, three placed on either arm, two on his head, and one scrambling to follow and eat corn him as the kernels scattered behind him from his pockets.

"Okay then, Cluckerina." Aphmau grumbled, and Cluckerina stopped cawing.

Aaron was holding two chickens in his arms, both hens, while a rooster had magically perched on his shoulders, acting like a parrot and also refusing to get off.

"I swear, how many chickens does this guy have?" Lucinda stumbled into view, clutching three hens and a single hen nested comfortably in her hair, also turning it into a crow's nest of a mess.

"A lot." Aphmau replied. "Dang, look at you Lucinda, picking up all the chicks!"

Lucinda glared playfully at her. "Nu-uh man! These things took forever to catch!"

The hen on her head plucked her forehead, as if unappreciative of being called a thing.

"Ouch!" Lucinda almost dropped one of the hens in her arms. "Ack! Don't do that!"

"Heehee!" Aphmau snickered.

"This is stupid." Matron complained to her, flying by lazily. "Chicken Dude should be able to get his chickens on his own."

"I'm helping him because that's what friends do!" Aphmau hummed back.

"Uh huh." Matron disbelievingly shook her head.

Aphmau trotted forward, ignoring the stare of passerby, and ruffled her chicken's hair slightly, fluffing up her feathers

"What's that?"