Part 17

We kept driving. My Aunt followed the other group.I watched as we drove by walkers. 

  It was hard to think those things were at one time living human beings.

  I watched as the, Come Back Soon, sign passed.We were now in Kansas.

  Their were lots of moutains, which was,  in my opinion, a recipe for disaster and death.

  As we climbed up and down mountains, there where alot of cars in the way. We couldn't just go back.We had to move them.

  There was about ten walkers cooking twords us. One came straight for me. I reached for my knife.It wasn't there. "I must of dropped it the car."

  I kept backing up. I was going to push it over the edge of the mountain.

  I had my gun, but the sounds would echo through the hills and they would all come this way.

  I got close to the edge. I was walking backwards.

  I tripped.

  I screamed as I fell over the divider. I grabbed into a root sticking out.

  The walker fell and went straight down. It was at lease a hundred foot drop.

  Both of my hands were wrapped around the root. I was slipping.

  "Ann?!" I heard someone call.

  "Help! Please!" I tryed to stay calm, so I wouldn't lose my grip on the thin root.

  David came over to the edge. "Ann!" He put his hand out to me.

  "But, I might pull you down with me." I said softly.

  "If you die, I die." he looked at me with a straight face.

  He put his hand out to me again.

  I let go of the root with one hand and grabbed his hand.

  He pulled me up and started to walk back to help.

  "D-David...?" I bit my lip.

  He turned around and looked at me.

  I ran to him and wrapped my arms around him.

  "Ann?" he asked awkwardly. "We need to help with the cars."

  I held onto him and ignored the fact that we needed to move the cars.     

  "People are starring..." he whispered.

  I let go and looked him in the face. "Sorry and.. thank you." I said softly.

   He looked at me and pulled me into a hug.

  I almost started to cry. I put my arms around him.

  We stood there, my Aunt looked at me weirdly, then raised an eyebrow.

  Dawn walked past us with dancing eyebrows.

  Carl looked at me, our eyes met.

  I turned my head, layed it in David's shoulder, and closed my eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  When they were done moving cars David let go.

  We walked to the car separately.

  He got into the middle of the car, I sat by him.

  Rose took shot gun and my Aunt driving. Marie, Dawn, and Steve sat in the back. Cheyanne sat in the middle with David and I.

  My Aunt Katy started following the other cars again.

  "Everyone saw me fall over the edge. David was the only one that cane to help me.  Not even Carl." I told myself. "As far as everyone knew. That's the reason I hugged him he had saved me."

  I hoped they wouldn't think anything else.

  I layed my head on the window, I needed to sleep. I haven't gotten a good sleep in a while. I closed my eyes and breathed out heavily.

  David layed his head on my shoulder. I'm guessing he had the same idea.

  I could hear them (everyone in the car) all putting in comments.

  The whole situation replayed through my mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  It must of been about an hour later. I opened my eyes to see everyone sleeping except my Aunt. She was focused on the road.

  I looked to David sleeping on my shoulder. I grabbed his hand and held it.

  I layed my head back on the window and closed my eyes.

  His hand tightened around mine.