Part 11

I was surpised I didn't fall asleep while sitting guard all night.

  The first light of morning started coming up, no one would wake up till at lease 7.

  I went to the back of the truck and grabbed a box of pancake mix, syrup, water botttle, forks, plates, pan, and a spatula.

   I made a fire and mixed the pancake mix together.

  I had about five pancakes done when Dawn limped out of the tent. She planted herself on a log and stared at me.

  "Save some for everyone else." I told her.

  She took two and ate it all in one gulp.

  Everyone else slowly got up.

  Before I knew it that box of mix was gone and there was no pancakes left.

  "Ann, did you eat any?" David asked me.

  I shook my head 'no.'

  "So, Your taking watch, not sleeping, making food, not eating, and saving our life's?"

  "Yep. Oh! I almost forgot about Rose. I better give her something." I reminded myself.

  I got up and headed twords the van to check on her.

  She jumped when I opened the door. "Mmm! Mmm mmm mm!" She muttered.

  "Shut up Rose." I threw a granola bar at her.

  Her hands were tied up front and she had a bandana over her mouth.

  I took it off.

  She opened the granola bar and stared to eat it.

  "So, when am I getting out off here?" She said with her mouth full.

  "I don't know.  I'm talking to the other group." I sat next to her in the van.

  "Why did you do it?" I asked her.

  She finished her granola bar, "He was getting really werid.  He was wanted stuff that I would never do. He got to close, I grabbed the shovel, and swung it. I didn't mean to kill him. I just started to panicking."

  "You didn't mean to kill him?" I looked at her. 

  A few tears rolled down her face. "No." She replied in a soft tone. "I would never kill someone, unless I HAD too."

  I thought, got up, closed the van door, and went to talk to the group.

  I kinda threw myself onto one of the logs and stared into space.

  "Ann? You okay?"

  I clicked back into reality, "What?"

  Cheyanne looked at me with concerning eyes, "Are you okay? Is something bugging you?"

  "Rose told me that she didn't mean to kill Zachary. He wanted to do stuff that she wasn't willing to, he got to close, she panicked, and hit him with the shovel."

  "Your going to let her go?!" Dawn questioned.

  "No, I never said that. I still have to talk to Rick." I said trying to calm her down.

  I got up, walked to the white house, and knocked.

  Rick came to the door, "Yes?"

  "I talked to Rose and she said that she didn't mean to kill Zachary.  He was just getting to close and weird. She told him to back up, but he continued to get closer. She said that she grabbed the shovel just to try and scare him off.  She swung it not meaning to hit his throat, she wanted to knock him out."

  Rick looked at me, "I'll talk to my group."

   "Okay, thank you." I walked back to the logs.

  I sat down next to Cheyanne. They were all talking about their families before the apocalypse.

  Steve turned to me, "Who did you lose before all of this?"

  I thought, "My aunt Katy."

  I sniffled, then adjusted my postion.

  "What happened to her?" Marie asked.

   "She was getting a C-section, she was having twins. She died after she looked into her two little girls eyes." I sighed. I never liked that story.

  Mrs. Green was slightly staring at me. Her jaw was cracked open and her eyebrows down.

  "Are you okay Mrs.  Green?" David asked.

  "Ya. I'm just thinking about Ann's story. Ann, what are the twins names?" she questioned.

  I had to think, I never got to meet them. But, my mom talked about them before. "The oldest is Ireland Grace and the youngest is Brooklyn."

  Her eyes welled up and tears ran down her face.

  I looked around at the group, "Did I say something wrong?"

  They all shrugged.

  "Ann." Mrs. Green took a deep breath. "My name is Katy. I gave birth to two little girls, their names were Ireland Grace and Brooklyn."

  My jaw dropped. I stared at her, "Aunt Katy?"

  "Yes, Ann. It's me."

  I didn't know what to say or do. She "died" six years ago.

  "Wh-why? How?!" I foreced words out of my mouth.

  "Long story Ann." She said with a soft caring tone.

  I got up and ran over to her. She was suppose to be dead.