Thirty Seven

~Devina's POV~

"Devin!" I heard Gwen call from downstairs

"Devin!" I heard Gwen call from downstairs. I moaned and rolled over onto my stomach. "You better be up!" I mumbled an "I am" but I highly doubt she heard me. Then my door opened and Gwen laughed.

"Come on Devin. It's your last day of high school!" This caught my attention. It's been almost a year since Gwen decided to officially adopt me. A few months after the system took me in, my mom committed suicide in jail. It hurt knowing that my only known family member wasn't here anymore, but was she ever even here in the first place? It took many therapy sessions and a long battle with my own head, but I finally forgave her for everything she did. Deep down inside, I know she wasn't all there. Something wasn't right in her head and I couldn't blame her entirely. What she did wasn't right but, I forgive her. "I also got something for you." I laughed and sat up. This is how Gwen is, always making sure I feel loved and welcome. From the first night I stayed with her, we bonded. We spent pretty much that whole night just talking about our pasts, she doesn't know about the whole werewolf thing but it's not my secret to tell.

"You didn't have to spend your money on me." Gwen pulled me into her chest and kissed the top of my head, stroking my long blonde hair. Then she pulled me out of bed and lead me outside. "What is this?" I slowly asked as I saw what was sitting in our driveway.

"It's nothing huge like a...what do you call it? A Lambo?" I giggled and nodded. "But if you're going to go off to college, you'll need to have a car." I ran over into Gwen's arms and squeezed her.

"Thank you! I love you so much." She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me closer.

"I love you too baby. Now go get ready so you can drive your new car and finish high school. Don't forget, your graduation party is this Saturday!" I nodded and ran inside. It was Wednesday, which makes no sense to end the school year in the middle of the week. Not saying I want to suffer any longer. I hurried upstairs and checked on Tank. The beta fish that was gifted to me by Gwen on the day of my adoption.

"Hey Tank. What's up bud?" I opened my dresser and picked out something to wear. Nothing too fancy, it's only school. My last day of high school to be exact. After getting ready, I rushed downstairs.

"These are so hard to make!" Gwen groaned in frustration as she tried to flip a burnt pancake.

"I don't have time to eat this morning but thank you." I kissed her cheek and grabbed my backpack.

"My baby is all grown up!" She whined as she looked at me with tears in her grey eyes.

"I gotta go!" She tossed me the keys to my new Toyota and followed me outside. I hopped into the car and rolled the window down. "Bye, mom!" She froze at this, her once almost tears now streaming down her face. Then a huge smile crawled into her face and she wiped the tears away.

"I like that title." She barely spoke.

"Me too."

The school parking lot was busy as always, Gwen always took me to school and picked me up so I never had to worry about parking like now. I laughed as I saw my best friend Hailey gawking at my new car. I pulled in right in front of her and jumped out.

"Devin, what is this?!"

"Mom got me a car!" I squealed.

"Mom?" Her eyes brightened as she looked up at me. "I'm so happy for you!" She pulled me into her chest.

"Things are getting better. So much better." I still think about Zane. He is my mate, after all, I haven't rejected him and he hasn't rejected me but mostly because we haven't seen each other for a year. I've also come to accept that next time we see each other, he will reject me.

"I told you they would when you explained your past, Hun." Hailey is right, when we first met, my walls were super high. Good thing she didn't mind climbing. The walls are still there, there's no doubting that, but it's not just me on the other side of that wall. I have Gwen and Hailey now.

"Hello, my favorite bitches." Our other friend, Logan jogged over to us and pulled us both into a group hug. These two reminded me of Henry and Gillie. A faint smile appeared on my face as I thought of how much I miss them. "Woah. Um, car?" Logan pointed at my car and I laughed.

"My mom gave it to me for graduation." I don't think he caught the mom part but that's okay. He just jumped up and down and squealed.

"You can drive us around now!" I rolled my eyes and started walking up to the school.

"Come on let's go finish high school." I grinned and pulled them inside with me.