Four

~Devina's POV~

The next morning, the house was anything but quiet

The next morning, the house was anything but quiet. My mom decided to vacuum the hallway outside of my room, at nine in the morning. I groaned and hopped out of bed. Last night when I got home, she was already in bed sound asleep so I couldn't face her wrath. I guess I will have to now. I quickly got dressed and opened my door and stepped in front of her, showing her that I was awake. She looked up at me and narrowed her eyes, shutting the vacuum off and propping her hand on her hip.

"I can't believe you. Who do you think you are?" She began yelling. I took a step back and sighed.

"Did you even call the school? Or google what happened yesterday?" The news took this "incident" as a contest, seeing who can have the most views on their news channel or website. One even went as far as saying the wolves were werewolves. Who would even believe that?

"Yes I did and I'm sorry you had to experience that but it gives you no excuse to just leave town and do whatever you want. You're only sixteen Devina!" My mouth gaped open.

"Only a couple hundred students survived the attack. Out of thousands mom! I almost died and all you seem to care about is how I wasn't home. You know you're lucky I'm even here-" She cut me off with a laugh.

"Don't be so dramatic." She rolled her blue eyes. Sometimes I wish I had my fathers eyes, then maybe I could remember him. Instead, I have this momster's eyes.

"Dramatic? There are over two thousands parents mourning their children right now because they also didn't come home, and won't ever come home and you're giving me a lecture about being home on time? I can't believe you! Why can't you just pretend you care about me? Do you see these bruises?!" I yelled and pointed at my face and arms. "I was kidnapped! And beaten. I haven't eaten anything since Thursday night-which was dinner I made for myself because you weren't home-and I was knocked unconscious at one point but you're right, sorry for not being home on time." I huffed and stomped past her and down the stairs. Walking into the kitchen, I saw her car keys. I could stay and pretend to be her perfect daughter, or I could leave and-well I don't know. I made my decision and grabbed them, making a beeline for the front door. Once inside the car, my mom ran outside and I quickly locked the doors.

"Get out of the fucking car Davina!" She pounded on the driver side window and tried opening the door. "Devina Ross Stavros! Unlock the door now!" She tried going around to the other side but it was already locked. I shoved the keys into the ignition, the car struggled a little, but then roared to life. "This is illegal! You don't have your license!" She was right, she refused to sign me up for driver's ED so I only had my permit which allowed me to drive with a licensed driver over the age of 18. I immediately thought of Zane and closed my eyes. I didn't want him to leave last night, but what was I expecting? Him to tell me I couldn't go home? That's what I secretly hoped. Goddess this is all so crazy. I put the car in reverse and looked over to my mother.