Thirty Three

~Devina's POV~

"April?" I whispered, the name feeling dry and sour in my mouth

"Zane's mate." She finished as I backed away. Something's not right. I thought once again. "Now, the only thing between us is you. So I'm going to have to ask you to-" April was cut off by Zane rushing down the stairs. He stopped in his tracks as he saw her standing there in her flowing red dress. I took these awkward few seconds to really look at her. She was beautiful. Her long red dress matched her curly red hair. She was lean and thin. Everything a guy could ever want.

"April?" Zane slowly took a step forward. At first, I thought it was towards me, but the way he locked eyes on her made me think otherwise.

"It's me. I'm back." My eyes snapped off of her and landed on Zane as he broke out into a grin and ran over to her. He lifted her up into his arms and twirled her around. She was grinning at me the whole time. Then she mouthed "sorry".

"You're back. You came back." I flinched back and hit the wall.

"Baby who's this?" She fake pouted. He ignored her question and pulled her in closer.

"Zane," I whispered but he paid no attention to me. Then he pulled back from April a little and caught her lips with his. I sucked in a deep breath and turned around, quickly moving up the stairs. I ran to our once shared room and grabbed my backpack. Emptying all my school stuff, I replaced it with clothes and anything else I might need. Before leaving I tore a piece of paper out of my notebook and grabbed a pencil. Writing down two words, I let the paper flutter down and land down on the bed. I slung the backpack over my shoulder and ran out of the back door, into the woods. The only provisions I have is a bottle of water and a pack of spearmint gum which isn't even full. Unlike the other times, as I ran through the dense forest, no one was calling my name.

A few hours later, the only thing I could think about was the burning in my throat and throbbing of my feet. But the image of Zane and April exchanging saliva kept me going. My mind couldn't comprehend how Zane could just leave me like that. Maybe it's because she's his first mate. I thought. Maybe she was his first choice all along. Maybe he finally realized that I'm not good enough.

"Devina?" I heard someone call me from my thoughts. I stopped walking and looked around. "Devina this is Dylan. I'm trying to mind link you." I sighed and kept walking.

"It's working." I linked back.

"Devina where are you?" He immediately asked. I waited a little to respond, not quite sure what to say. Yeah, I left because Zane ditched me for his ex. They seemed a little occupied so I thought I'd give them some room. "What? What ex?" I mentally cursed myself for forgetting that this conversation is through our minds.

"April. His first mate."

"Wh-" He paused. "Are you okay?" He finally spoke. "Here just stay there. I'll come find you and we'll-"

"No Dylan. I can't go back there. I can't. I won't." I cut him off.

"Then we'll just go somewhere else. Anywhere you want. It's just not safe for you to be out there alone right now. There have been more sightings of vampires." My eyes scanned over the woods as if I would actually see a vampire before it killed me. I closed my eyes and nodded.

"Okay."

Anywhere was better than here or with Zane. He's the last person I'd want to see. Ever. But just like that, he's gone and something tells me that he's not ever coming back.