Chapter Ten: Freedom

Seth continued to examine the photo. Everyone looked so happy then. He wished he could find his smile though.

Two Years After Graduation

It was a peaceful day in Afton when,

"Oh shit! Look out!"

Seth was scared for his life. He gripped the handle and prayed he'd live to see another day. The sound of tires screeching didn't help him either

"Sasha, you're gonna get us killed!"

Seth closed his eyes and started murmuring prayers. He just knew this was it! All he could feel was his body swinging right as the car made a hard left. I think the boy is crying by this moment.

"Sasha please!"

With that, he could feel the car slowing down. Seth let out a sigh of relief. He was glad to be alive. As soon as the car made its full stop and was parked, he ripped the keys out of the ignition.

"Never again," he claimed.

"Never again what?"

"Letting you drive."

Seth thought it would be a good idea to teach her how to drive. Because she was so poor, Sasha was never able to afford such a thing. First there buying guides, then paying for test. There was also convincing her parents to let her waste the gas in their car to learn. Gas isn't cheap and the chances of it being used in any way other than getting to work was little. Then there was the money to take a road test. Plus insurance and all of that other financial stuff. Because it was Sasha's birthday a few months ago, Seth decided he would help her get her license. He gave his old handbook to her and even paid for her test. Now that Sasha was considered a learner, Seth was willing to let her drive his car. What was the worse that could happen? Seth stuffed his car keys into his pocket and exited the passenger side. Sasha followed looking a little guilty.

"You're mad aren't you?"

"Mad?" Seth looked at Sasha in confusion.

"I was bad wasn't I?"

Seth was about to say something but cut himself off. He wasn't gonna lie, Sasha was a terrible driver.

"You weren't bad you're just...different?"

Sasha knew he was trying to soften the blow.

"Okay I'm not gonna lie, you're a horrific driver," Seth continued.

Sasha looked slightly hurt and held her head down.

"But hey, this is what learning is all about."

Those words lifted her courage and she released a slight chuckle.

"You wanna know what's been worrying me?"

"Hmm?"

"Graduation is next week."

"Oh yeah! Right! Wait... Why does that worry you?"

"I don't want things to change. I don't want us to be split due to our adult lives."

Sasha began rambling until his finger hushed her lips.

"Calm down, I promise I won't let that happen."

Sasha nodded her head and slowed her breathing.

"Now, you hungry?"

* * *

Two Weeks Later

Seth was so proud of Sasha. She was finally graduating and has a chance at a better life. She can go to university and get a degree for a high paying job! The gate is open to leave poverty! Not only that, but it is also Sasha's escape. Her freedom. Throughout her years, the bullying was reduced but it never stopped. She couldn't be protected in class. How many times has her books been swiped off her desk? Spitballs left and right. Name calling continued. But now that she was graduated and out of school, all of that shouldn't be of concern. Tonight is her night. Everyone is going to be busy with their parents to even bother thinking about Sasha. Plus, Seth had her back. Meanwhile, Bayley was volunteering at the concession.

"I'll have a corn dog please," he ordered.

"Sure thing! Coming right up- Oh hi Seth!"

Bayley was as happy as ever. She enjoys helping in every way. Plus, she gets a little treat afterwards. Some of the food goes bad so whatever can mold after the night, her along with the others get a little snack.

"And here you go!"

Seth grabbed the corn dog out of her hands and smiled.

"I'll see you later tonight."

"Bye!"

Seth gave a wink at her and Bayley just smiled and almost collapsed. Bayley is glad Seth is her friend. He was so open and willing. Ever since the initial tutor session, he was so polite and they began to know each other.

Seth sat in his chair as the ceremony played out. Sasha looked so happy to be in her blue suit with the odd looking hat. When it came her time, she stepped to the front to accept her diploma. This is it, the key to a better life. Afterwards, Seth asked to dance. And as they did, he started talking deep.

"Look Sasha, I've been trying to put this into words for a long time. And this is also after I found the courage to ask. But... We've been together for two years now. We are both also out of school. I was just wondering if...maybe...we lived together."