Chapter Thirty-Five: The Pretty Boy

Chapter Thirty-Five word count: 4219 words

Niall comes home from work a bit upset on Friday. It's a surprising considering he was in a pretty good mood this morning, having received the news that Ollie will be getting his transplant sometime in the next week if everything works out. Someone from Ollie's father's work agreed to donate when he heard of how ill Ollie was. The Styles family got the news that the man, Paul, was a good match for Ollie only yesterday after a week of waiting for the test results to come back. They didn't tell Ollie that there was a possible match for him in fear that it might not work out and he'd be given some false hope. So, this morning they told Ollie the news along with placing calls around the family to let everyone know what's going to happen.

The boys recorded a performance for a TV show early this morning then Niall went to the studio to record some of the backing guitar for their next album. I'm not sure if the other boys were at the studio as well, but Niall came home around six in the afternoon, eyes puffy from tears. It seems as if he thinks I haven't noticed that he's been crying, though. He perks up after he changes into some comfy clothes and starts building something with G out of Legos before offering to cook dinner tonight. I agree, knowing that Niall really enjoys cooking and that might help him relax after what happened today.

I check on Niall when he's about halfway done with dinner, standing with his back to me as he moves something around in a pan in front of him. I think he's making chicken, actually. He's got the radio on low, some singer-songwriter melodies traveling through the kitchen.

"Did anything happen today, Ni? You seemed a bit upset when you got home?" I ask softly, sitting down on one of the bar stools at our island so I can watch Niall cook. He turns to look over his shoulder at me and nods, but he doesn't seem so upset now.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" I ask Niall, knowing he's most likely going to say no. If he wanted my help, he probably would have asked for it when he got home.

"Um," Niall says, turning back towards the stovetop, "sure." I'm a bit speechless after that, honestly. I don't think Niall's ever agreed to talk about something so easily. If he has, it's been about something that didn't make him upset enough to cry. I think he's just had a rough couple of days, and he wants to give me a break from seeing him upset, but that's the last thing I want. If he's upset I'm going to help him no matter how many days or weeks or months or years in a row it is.

"There's just some shit goin' on between the boys." Niall says. This is the first I've heard of anything like that. The boys have their fights, that's a given with how much time they spend together, but they always get over it. I don't think they've ever had a fight so bad that it's lasted more than a day or two.

"Really? What about?" I ask, watching Niall's back carefully. He hums a bit, pausing before he continues. I can't help but stare at the expanse of his back. His shoulders are broad and his back muscles ripple lightly as he picks up a heavy pan on the side of the counter and moves it to the sink. Maybe I'm crazy, but I love Niall's back. Every part of him is intensely attractive, though, so I'm not surprised that I find that part of him nice to look at as well.

"You can't say anything to anyone about this. Even the boys, alright?" Niall asks, and I nod immediately.

"Of course, Ni. That goes without saying." Niall seems to be comforted by my words and decides to continue.

"Well, um, Harry's gonna be a dad." Niall mumbles. I'm a bit taken aback, first at the idea of Harry being a father, next at how there could possibly be tension between the boys because of it. I know for a fact Harry's not with anyone, and if by some chance he is, he's kept it a secret from everyone. It just makes me even more confused.