Chapter Thirty-Three: The Attentive Boy

Chapter Thirty-Three word count: 4126 words

Sleeping without Niall never gets easier. At times like this, when so much is going on and it's all awful, I just want to hold Niall close. He's not here, though. I get it, really. Niall and I are a team, and sometimes that means being apart from one another. He's where he needs to be. He's supporting his best friends, his family. I've got to be where I'm needed: at home with our son. We didn't have G's medicine or his breathing treatments with us, so no matter what, one of us had to go home. Niall and I decided that it was best if G went too and slept in our house in a bed rather than against our chests in a hospital.

Niall needs to stay with the Styles right now, or really with Elliot. That family is going through a lot and I know Elliot won't be a priority to them, but Niall will make sure he's still doing okay and he's getting sleep and eating. I wish the hospital weren't an hour from our house, but our apartment is only minutes away from it, so I think Niall might try to convince Elliot to go there to shower and get some rest. I might have wiped some of the blood off him but I couldn't possibly actually clean him off, so he really needs to shower sometime soon.

It's the middle of the night, but I can't sleep without Niall here. I think it's a mix between that and being nervous for Ollie. He should be getting out of surgery soon and I'd really like to know how it went. I decide to call Niall then, knowing he won't be sleeping. G's sleeping in bed next to me, his oxygen humming gently in the darkness. I don't want to wake him, so I roll out of the bed and head to the hall. I leave the door open as I sit outside in the hallway, far enough to not wake G with talking, but close enough to hear him if he does wake up. Niall answers on the second ring.

"Hi, everything okay?" Niall asks immediately after answering, and I can't help but smile. He always makes sure that G and I are alright, always.

"Yeah, Ni. G's asleep. I was just checking on you." I tell him, listening gently for his reply.

"Well, Olls s'out of surgery, and he's doing really well. He's getting some help breathing, but they're slowly going to pull him off of it. He's gonna wake up soon, though." Niall tells me, and the fear gripping me backs off dramatically. I can't even describe the relief. Ollie is fine. He's still dying, but he's alive, and this isn't going to stop him yet. He's still fighting.

"That's amazing." I tell Niall, but he's quiet. I know he's trying to be big and strong for everyone, me included, but it's alright for him to be scared too. He's allowed to cry and worry and he's allowed to talk about it. I know he won't right now because he's probably near the twins, so I simply change the subject. I'll see Niall in person soon.

"How are you feeling? Did you take your medicine? And eat something with it?" I ask, and I'm grateful for Niall's quick response.

"I'm alright. And yeah, I did." He says, and I'm smiling a bit to myself. I'm so proud of him. No one was there to make sure he did that. No one reminded him. It's not common for Niall to take his medicine all by himself when his disorder is flaring up.

"Why aren't you asleep?" Niall asks, bringing me out of my thoughts. I don't really want to tell him the truth that I can't sleep without him here and if he kept talking to me I could probably fall asleep to the sound of his voice. It'll only make him feel bad.

"Can't sleep. I guess I'm just worried about Olls. And I miss you." I say, sighing a bit. I just want to hold Niall.

"Once Ollie wakes up, Elliot's gonna see him and then I'll get him to go take a shower and rest and then I'll be home, love. I promise. I miss you." Niall murmurs, and it only upsets me. I want Niall to come home and sleep right now. I'm grateful for Niall watching out for Elliot, but he needs to take care of himself as well.