Chapter 30 Private conversations

Start from the beginning

Vara smiled innocently. "You had to have been there to find it amusing."

Giulia gritted her teeth. "I imagine so. Thank you for sharing that with us."

"My pleasure," Vara smiled and turned to the rest of the ladies. "I hope you will forgive me if I take my leave now. I am otherwise engaged."

The ladies all curtsied as Vara strode out of the room with Iason at her heels. Once she was out on the hallway, with the door firmly between her and the rest of the room, she let out a sigh. "So annoying," she muttered.

"I gather you and lady Giulia do not get along," Iason commented carefully.

Vara narrowed her eyes. "She is determined to sink her claws into Cyrus, even when he is not interested. She acts like she is the queen already."

"I can see why that vexes you."

"And what is that supposed to mean?!" Vara snapped at him.

Iason wasn't deterred by her tone of voice. He offered her a sad smile. "They will return any day now," he said, knowing full well she missed Cyrus' company.

Vara sighed. "They've been gone such a long time. I'm ready for Cyrus to take over the role of dutiful child again. Let him deal with the courtiers and tax reports."

Iason didn't know how to respond to that. It was obvious to him that Vara didn't enjoy playing princess, but she was the king's daughter, even if not by blood, and there was no changing that.

Outside, there was the sound of hooves against the stone. Vara moved towards the window and peered outside. A gasp escaped her lips and a smile appeared on her face. Gathering her skirts, she turned and sprinted down the stairs.

Iason hurried to catch up with her.

...

Iolaus looked up when he heard hurried footsteps come his way. He caught the girl just in time to avoid crashing to the ground. "Such a warm welcome. I didn't know you had missed me this much, Vee." He chuckled lightly.

Vara pulled away and smiled. "When did you return?"

"Just now," Iolaus answered while handing his horse to a stable boy, "it's good to be home. Dealing with Cyrus when he's moody is enough of a trial, but adding Darius Tirzé is enough to send a man to an early grave."

Vara scrunched her nose. "So much for not being an ass all the time," she said.

"Hm?" Iolaus questioned.

"Nothing," Vara shook her head, "speaking of Cyrus, where is he?"

"Lady Vara!" Iason jogged up to the pair and tried to catch his breath. That girl sure could run. "You shouldn't run off like that. The king will have my head."

Iolaus looked from Vara to Iason with a curious expression. "Iason?" he asked.

Iason looked up and made a light bow. "My lord Iolaus."

Iolaus grinned and shook his head. "We are both soldiers her, Iason. There's no need to be formal."

Vara blinked confused. "You two know each other?"

"Lord Iolaus' father is my family's landlord, my lady," Iason explained.

"Right," Vara said, "I remember now."

"That may be true," Iolaus said, "but we were both trained to become soldiers here. We were in the same squad. That makes us brothers." He slapped Iason's shoulder. "I am curious to know why you are escorting this little troublemaker."