The Confession

'Perhaps the noises are just from the cracks that you would normally expect to hear in an old house,' suggested the priest as he tried to calm the skeleton's wife.

'I can assure you father, that there is a spirit lurking in this house. He's been taunting me for several months now. I often hear strange sounds coming from in there.' She points to the closet.

'I've also been finding things around the house that belonged to my husband that he never took off and would have had with him the day he disappeared at sea. Like his wedding band and pocket watch. The ring was right here, on the bedside table and watch right on the bathroom sink. The ring could not have found his way here all by itself.'

'Maybe you're husband is trying to communicate with you. Is there some reason why he would?'

She paused for a few seconds with hesitation. 'Father, I've wanted to get this off my chest for quite some time and I think now is the right time. I did something terrible and have been living with a skeleton in my closet for so long and it's poisoned my existence,' she said sobbing.

'Go on my child.'

'Whenever Henri would leave on a fishing trip he would usually be gone for months and when he was home, he would be sleeping on the hammock all day. He didn't even want to give me children. That at least would have made my marriage more bearable. I couldn't stand the loneliness so whenever he was gone, I would go and stay with a lover. He was a widower and I became a mother figure to his children. He gave me a purpose in life. Those were the happiest days of my life. When Henri disappeared at sea, I felt so guilty and ashamed that I broke off the affair as punishment for my sins and I've been alone ever since.'