The Mermaid's Pet

But the mermaid never kept her promise... 

Instead she dragged the skeleton by the arm like a dangling puppet from one end of the sea to the other proudly flaunting it to her friends and family. The mermaid's tail had never been more pink and her fingertips would flicker like little pink Christmas lights. Heads would turn wherever they went and all the sea folks would nod their heads in disapproval. Everyone thought the mermaid had lost her mind for parading around with a skeleton. She had always been misunderstood and this time was no exception. The mermaid savored the attention even though it was for all the wrong reasons. Vanity was her biggest flaw and it alienated her from her pod.

The skeleton began to resent the mermaid for humiliating him in front of strangers. Although he could not remember anything from his past, he knew his life must have been better than the one he was being forced to live at the bottom of the sea. It became clear to him that the mermaid had no intention of teaching him how to swim but instead wanted to keep him as her pet. The skeleton was resolved to escape from the mermaid and retrieve his boat where he hoped he would find clues about his past. Unfortunately without knowing how to swim, he wasn't going to be able to go very far...