Chapter 6 - Complicated Misunderstandings Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"No can do. We've got an escapee to catch. The only reason we are in here is because you were the last person seen with her, sire," Syran heard Cesare respond. Syran's eyes flew open as he was met with the blackness of his blanket. Memories of the day before came back to him as he remembered placing the sleeping girl in his bed before going back to Sabine's torture chamber.

Without warning, he shot up, his head turning to the other side of his sizable bed. He had forgotten she was even in here. His brow was still furrowed as his groggy mind caught up with reality. And now she had escaped. Syran groaned again as he gingerly turned his sensitive eyes to the two chevaliers.

"Do we even know she's the real thing? What has Gina said about the seal?" he asked, rubbing his temples. He was tempted to just let her escape. As intriguing as her story was, it wasn't as if they had any real proof to back it up. They didn't even know if the seal had been real or not. Yet, the amount of detail in Antoni's letter should have been all the proof Syran needed, and deep down he felt it was legitimate, but it didn't hurt to be extra careful.

"Yes, sir! She sent a report this morning. The seal is indeed real," Ellion replied, handing Syran some papers. Syran scanned over them, his head mage's signature at the bottom. Had he really been expecting any different? No, if he had, he would have let her go the first time.

Syran groaned loudly once more as he fell back onto his pillow and threw his arm over his eyes. "Gather the guards," he said wearily.

"It's already been done. We were just coming to let you know," Cesare said with a mischievous look on his face. Syran scowled as he moved his arm just enough to glare daggers at the chevalier. He had been woken up for nothing.

Syran sighed and got out of bed. He gave Cesare and Ellion another dirty look before walking to his closet.

Cesare smirked widely at him. "Oh my, is that what you slept in?"

Syran cast him a sideways glance as he grabbed a clean shirt. "What of it?"

"Well, sire, not that I am any expert, but that's a rather forward way to declare yourself to a young lady, don't you think?" Cesare said, fake innocence dripping from every word.

Syran froze as still as a statue with the shirt only halfway over his shoulders, realization finally hitting him. He had gone to sleep in only his undergarments. "Oh, dear Gods..."

~~~~~      ~~~~~

Anastasia woke to a dark room. Her head ached and her tongue was parched. When had she eaten last? She couldn't remember.

She strained her eyes against the blackness, trying to make sense of her surroundings. She remembered sitting under the singing tree, but then there was nothing. The arrogant king must have had a guard bring her back to her room. She grumbled under her breath at the thought of being carried like some doll again. However, despite her headache now, she felt much better rested so complaining wasn't going to do her any good.

Swinging her legs off the side of the soft bed, she stood, shuffling her way to the window. She needed some light. She squinted her eyes shut as she pulled back the curtains. The morning sun was bright and cheerful as it graced the room with its splendor.

When her eyes had finally adjusted, Anastasia felt panic rise in her chest as she realized this room was much larger than the one she remembered. Her eyes darted around. No, this was not the room she had been taken to the day before. A movement from the bed caught her eye and she found herself holding back a scream as a figure turned over on the bed and groaned. She recognized the head of white blonde hair poking out from under a pillow. The blanket had been tossed aside and she was now gazing at his broad, muscular backside. Her innocence saved only by the measliest of scraps of clothing.

Anastasia felt her entire face and neck flush with embarrassment and fury. Who did this scoundrel think he was, sharing a bed with her! What were his intentions? Had he tried to take her innocence in her sleep? Anastasia felt panic grip her as she checked herself. She was still wearing the clothes given to her by the maid. She let out a shaky sigh. Her virtue was still her own, thank the Gods.

He stirred again and Anastasia quickly shut the curtains, casting them in darkness once more. She had been considering staying for a little while to get some answers after the dastardly king had promised she would be safe. She had chosen to place the tiniest bit of trust in his words for the sake of her own curiosity, but now she knew how foolish she had been! She would play along with his games no longer!

Making up her mind, Anastasia made her way to the door. Her boots had been placed neatly at the entrance. Slipping them on as silently as she could, she cracked open the door just enough for her slender body to slip through and shut it quickly behind her. The castle seemed quiet. Only a few maids walked about, tending to their morning duties. They paid her no mind as she quickly made her way through the corridors. Her tour with Cesare was proving beneficial as she found herself recognizing most of the stairwells and hallways.

The hum of the singing tree was also quite useful. As much as the beautiful song called her back to the tree's gnarled branches, she resisted the urge and marched along until the melody had vanished to the wind.

Anastasia finally made it to the outer courtyard. There were more guards posted in this area, she noticed, as her eyes scanned the gorgeously manicured landscape. There was no way she would get through without someone stopping her. Thinking back to Cesare's ramblings from the day before, she recalled him saying something about the servant's entrance on the other side of the medical buildings. Yes, she could use that!

The medical buildings weren't far, fortunately, and Anastasia found her way to them easily. A few maids had stopped to bow to her and say good morning along the way, which made Anastasia just about jump out of her own skin, but she tried to reply as inconspicuously as she could and hurried along. Gods, her nerves were going to be her undoing. If she just looked like she belonged, no one would be the wiser.

She peered around the corner of her hiding spot. There were two guards posted at the servant's entrance. What would she do now? Even though it was less guarded here, she still wouldn't be able to get by two soldiers on her own.

As if on cue, the young maid who had taken her clothes walked by. She had a bag in her arms and was walking straight toward the exit. Anastasia smiled wickedly as she thought of a plan.