22

Tobin

-

Back in Portland, after Y/N and I had gotten home, Sortzen tackled her to the ground and greeted her, while I went and put our bags in the laundry room, like every time we get home from being away from him, and when I come back to where Y/N and Sortzen are, Sortzen jumps on me, but I catch him and pet him, smiling as he greets me just as enthusiastically. After a minute, I set him down and follow Y/N up to the bedroom and wrap her in my arms, holding her close for the first time since the day she left to California and smile as she melts into my embrace, kissing her cheek.

"I love you." She says into my shoulder and I kiss her head as I sit on the bed, pulling her to sit on my lap.

"I love you too." I say and smile as Y/N kisses me softly. "Are you okay now, though?" I ask and she nods.

"Yeah, my mom is moving back to LA to be with him as he recovers and most likely staying after to be with him. They miss each other." She says and I nod.

"I understand that one." I say and Y/N giggles. "At least your mom is on the same continent though, having an international long distance relationship is the worst." I say and Y/N smiles, kissing me again, smiling against my lips as she pulls away from the kiss.

"Shut up." She says and I laugh a little, resting my hands on her hips. She gives me a tender smile and I return the expression, following Y/N as she moves off of my lap to stretch out on the bed, so I lay in front of her and pull her close. "I missed you." Y/N says and I furrow my brow. "When I was in LA with my family? I missed you. I don't know which was worse, the fear of losing my dad, or missing you." She says, tracing tiny patterns on my chest, so I grab her chin and look into those green eyes of hers.

"I think you missed your dad more." I say and she nods.

"You're right. I was so scared of losing him. I completely shut down." She says and I sigh, pulling her close, letting her hide in my neck as I rub her back with the hand that isn't holding my head up. "All I did while I was gone was surf, dance, train, eat, shower, sleep, repeat. I think I visited the hospital twice after that first week. I couldn't stand to see such a strong figure in my life in a place known for vulnerablility." She says and I nod.

"I know baby, he's okay now though. Right?" I ask and she nods.

"He's still in the hospital, but he's fine. He's recovering." She says and I sigh, laying down, pulling her onto my chest, and smiling as she buries her face even further into my neck.

"Go on and let it out, baby." I say and she shakes her head."

"I'm fine. I cried harder than I did the night after that Sweden game in 2016." She says and I nod, kissing her temple, just laying with her until she falls asleep, when Sortzen finally joins us, he wiggles between us and I take that as a chance to go start the laundry, since it's only noon. Instead of eleven at night like it is when we usually get home.

The next morning, Y/N and I get out of bed and grab our Thorns kit bags on our way out to Y/N's Range Rover, which she drives us to practice in and when we get to the stadium, we head inside and get ready for practice with the rest of the team, and go through it before heading back home together to relax until tomorrow, we aren't packing back up just yet, because we've got a week and a half before the next bootcamp in Athens, Georgia.

"I still can't believe UGA is hosting our camp this time around." Y/N says and I smile.

"Excited to go back?"

"Not really. But why the fuck not, right? Show some of the girls that don't believe in themselves that they can make it."

"You didn't believe in yourself?"