Mental Fight

I came upstairs to the attic expecting to find Matthew lying comfortably on my bed, or maybe by the window depending on what mood he's in. As I swung the door open, I sadly found that the room was empty. How strange. Suddenly, my eyes caught the light movement of a piece of paper on my pillow. If it hadn't been for the slight breeze passing through the room I might I have just by passed the paper completely. I slid across the floor, dragging my feet as I went. I picked up the note with my name written on the front in Matthew's perfect hand writing. I quickly unravelled it to reveal his words.

Marissa

I am truly sorry that I cannot be with you tonight, I say this regretfully but I can't hide it from you forever. I have been letting my family do my hunting for me, but I miss it. I want to hunt for myself tonight, I'm sorry if this frightens or disgusts you in anyway, but it's part of who I am. Neither I nor you can change that. I will be there in the morning when you wake, have a good night's sleep and be safe love. I love you.

Your Matthew x

Unfortunately, I am a little disgusted, but I'll get over it. I have always known that it is part of who he is and it's what he must do to survive. I just don't like how I must hear about it now, I didn't before. I haven't spent a night alone without him for so long now, I hate that I should have to do it even if it's only just this once. At least I can take comfort in the fact that I will wake up with him here, I threw the piece of paper into my drawer in my dresser and sat on the edge of my bed.

I wasn't ready for bed quite yet, I think a bath before bed would be a good idea a good way to clear my head. I grabbed my pyjamas and wandered downstairs into the bathroom, shutting the door lightly behind me. I gazed into the mirror and gazed back at my poor reflection, my eyes were baggy and my skin was rough. I was in dire need of a good face mask, I flipped open the bathroom cabinet and found a nice strawberry one. We were never in short supply, Gwen worked long hours and used these a lot to help her relax and keep her skin silky smooth.

Once I had run my bath with plenty of bubbles and the face mask had begun to harden I dropped my clothes to the floor and slid into the roasting hot bath. At least being enveloped in the waters heat made me feel like I was close to Matthew. It was the closest I would ever get to the temperature of his skin. It sounds sad I know, but what choice did I have? I lay there with only my thoughts for company, and all I could think about was Matthew.

Suddenly, I felt cold hands grab me and thrust me under the water. I tried to fight them, I tried to get my head above water but it was no use. I squeezed my mouth shut to keep in what little air I had, but it was useless. There hadn't been much time to catch my breath, fear took over me. I thrashed about in the water again and again trying to fight whatever was trying to kill me. My eyeballs felt like they were burning with the heat of the water, and my nose was stinging due to the bubbles that went up it on my down. When I thought, all was lost the pressure that had been pushing so hard down on me disappeared. I thrust myself out of the water and took a huge gulp of fresh oxygen into my lungs. My vision was blurred at first and it found a small figure standing at the bathroom door which was now wide open. As my eyes began to readjust I found Summer standing there looking up at something. But, I couldn't tell you what that something was because there was nothing there. Perhaps an imaginary friend?

"Angel?.................Bye," she muttered.

"Summer who are you talking to?"

She turned to me as if she had just noticed that I was in the room.

"Angel."

It didn't make sense If there was really an angel here, then how did I almost die, again? I don't know if the angel was here to save me or to kill me. If this had been months ago I wouldn't have thought anything of what Summer was saying. But, a lot has happened and I am now open minded to just about anything. And anyway, everyone knows that kids are more inclined to see the truth, before any adult ever could. Summer is smarter than most, so I don't doubt that she at least saw something.