008

09/27/17

CHAPTER EIGHT; REIGNING PAIN IN NEW ORLEANS

Maddison laid in bed thinking, she wasn't able to get a wink of sleep last night after everything that happened last night. There was this weird breakfast/dinner thing Klaus had set up at the compound. Maddie didn't want to go but her dad thought it was a good idea which made her question why since she told him about Klaus and the kiss. Maddie was sat next to Hayley and her dad as Klaus stood up and raised his glass to get everyone's attention.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift, immortality." Maddie rolled her eyes in annoyance. "After 100 years, one might expect light to be less keenly felt for its beauties and it sorrows to diminish with time, but as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans can possibly imagine..." Maddie tilted her head since she wasn't a vampire.

He beckoned some compelled humans who stood beside the vampires that were sat down. "insatiable need...exquisite pain..." The humans lifted their sleeves and cut their wrists letting it pour into the glasses. "Our victories...and our defeats," Klaus looked to Marcel then lifted his glass, "To my city, my home again, may the blood never cease to flow."

"And the party never end." Maddison sat up straight in her seat and looked at her dad as he smiled and raised his glass with Klaus and then looked to Diego.

"To New Orleans." Diego said raising his glass as everyone followed except Maddie and Hayley.

"To New Orleans, I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have, what Marcel in fact took, and built, into this, a true community of vampires," Klaus told everybody.

"What about her, the wolf?" Diego pointed at Hayley making Maddie also put her head down feeling her dad and Klaus' eyes on her as well as Hayley.

"Had you let me finish, Diego, you would know that of course there is one further matter I would like to address." Klaus makes his way to Hayley putting his hands on her shoulders as he speaks. "As many of you know, the girl is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you, I do not."

"Father of the year." Maddie said sarcastically drinking her glass of water.

His jaw clenched as he walked around to where he was standing last. "It appears I will have to earn your trust. Very well. We'll eliminate the route of your anxiety." Maddie's eyes widened as he continued. "You see, how can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the bayou to turn."

"What? Klaus, No," Hayley speaks up looking shocked.

"So eat, drink, and be merry and tomorrow i suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead. Have fun. Kill them all." Maddison felt rage within her at Klaus' words. She had family out there, a brother who she had yet to meet.

Maddie caught up with Hayley, who was about to leave because apparently Klaus doesn't want her to leave anymore than Hayley, but Diego showed up in front of them. "Going somewhere?" He asked but soon got slammed into the wall then to the ground.

"Elijah. You shouldn't be here. Klaus has his guys watching us." Hayley tells him.

"I wouldn't worry about them." Two guys groan from behind Maddie and Hayley and fall to the ground before Rebekah walks out. "Come, we musn't linger, we'll get you some place safe." Elijah turns around to leave but stops at Hayley's voice.

"No, you don't have to worry about us, we're fine. We've been deemed under protection by the almighty Klaus. It's the werewolves who need help."

"He ordered a wolf hunt." Maddie's voice was quiet from tears she had shed earlier. "Some kind of jacked up piece offering to my dad's vampires. You have to help them."

"In the bayou? Do we look like a bloody vampire rescue squad? I think you should be grateful we came to save you two." Rebekah asked in a whisper.

"Rebekah, please. Hayley has always wanted to know who her family was and I have a brother out there who I want to meet. Just as we find out their out in the bayou, Klaus orders them to be killed." Maddie looks over at Elijah, "Please, Elijah, you wanna help Hayley and me? Help our people." Elijah and Rebekah look at each other before nodding and leaving.

Maddie and Hayley had walked around, wandering when they heard Davina and Josh talking. "-and if Klaus tries to hurt you, I'll hurt him."

"I'm sure if you could actually stop Klaus you would have done it already." Hayley leans against the wall as Maddie sends a smile to Josh and Davina.

"You're Hayley, Klaus' wife." Maddison laughs as Hayley glares at her.

"Ew. No. Never. Maybe Maddie. I'm the pregnant werewolf and you must be the almighty superwitch, Davina, and lets not forget Josh, the newbie vampire way out of his element voted most likely to die next." Hayley walks towards the two as Maddie watches Josh gulp. "Hey, I'm just another one of Klaus' prisoners. Although, it would suck if he found out you were still lurking around..." Hayley trailed off.

"Maybe there's a world where we can all look out for each other?" Maddie asked them all with a grin.

HAYLEY'S POV

I walked in the hall and see Klaus reading a book in one of the compound study rooms. I turned and walked in. "Those werewolves you ordered killed, that's my family." I decided not to bring up Maddie's mystery brother just yet.

"Not for long, love," I turned my head rolling my eyes. "I mean this so called family of yours, they haven't done you much good, have they? You said it yourself, they abandoned you and left you on your own. Now it's simply your turn to do the same."

"Maybe they have their reasons." I argued. Klaus slammed his book shut and then stood up angrily.

"Yes, well, I have reason to, little wolf. If the werewolves are dead, the vampires have less desire to kill you. I am trying to keep you safe, not that you appreciate the effort." He said.

"And as soon as I have this baby, what happens to me then?" I asked. He opened his mouth looking away then closed it looking back at me.

"Right," I whispered. "Well, lucky for me, I have a little before I find out, and in the meantime, I will find a way to pay you back for this. As long as I'm in the family way, well, you can't do a damn thing about it." I started walking out but stopped and turned around to face Klaus. "By the way I hope you trying to get the vampires to trust you is worth it because if the wolves die out there...Maddie will never forgive you and then I'll be the least of your problems."