XXXVIII: misanthrope

"So you have some board meeting you have to attend at seven?" I asked Harry as he adjusted his tie in the mirror.

I dangled my legs off his bed as I watched him intently.

"Mhm." He mumbled.

He was wearing a black tuxedo with a classic white silk shirt underneath, topped off with a black tie and a silver watch- the watch I had bought him for Christmas a year ago that had 'my guiding light' engraved on the side. I smiled to myself. He still wore it. He hadn't forgotten about it even though he had such a diverse collection of watches that were far nicer than the one I bought him.

"What's gotten you all smiley?" Harry said with a grin on his face.

"Nothing" I lied. I wrapped my arms around Harry's neck as he approached me. He pulled me off the bed and onto my tippy toes.

He scanned my body up and down. "You know, soon i'm not going to have any t-shirts if you keep on stealing them." He chuckled.

"Sorry." I said as I played with the chain of his necklace.

"Don't apologize, doll." He smiled at me. "I like when you wear my clothes."

"I like wearing your clothes." I giggled. "More so than my own."

"Hm." Harry furrowed his brow. "That's not good. Maybe I should take you shopping so you can start wearing clothes of your own."

He planted kisses on my cheeks and my neck as he flattered me with compliments.

"Harry, you're going to be late for your meeting." I said to him.

"Ah shit." He groaned. "I have to leave now, love." He said as he grabbed his phone off the nightstand.

"Got any plans tonight while i'm off?" Harry asked as he double checked his room to make sure he hadn't forgotten anything.

"I actually might go to Scaddabush. Have dinner there, and maybe make some new friends or something." I said hesitantly. Hesitant because I didn't know if Harry would be okay with that.

"I'm just not enough for you, hey?" Harry said with a smile on his face. He was joking around, but was he really joking?

"You are." I said as I rubbed my cheek against my shoulder to conceal my smile. "I just.. need friends that are my age." I admitted.

I wasn't lonely, no. Harry was there for that. But there was some kind of void in my heart that was once filled by three girls that were no longer in my life. That void could not be fixed even by Harry.

"With Alice gone, Maddie dead, and Bella.. hating me; I just feel like I don't have any friends my age. 'Cause I don't." I said.

"I understand baby." He cooed. Did he?

"Go out and have fun tonight." Harry said as he rubbed my back. "Don't drive if you decide to dr-"

"I know." I intervened. He didn't need to tell me that after everything that's happened.

"I know you know, darling. I'm just reminding you." He said to me as he looked down to his silver watch. "I really need to go now."

"Okay." I said as he kissed my cheek.

"Be safe, doll." He exclaimed as he walked out the bedroom. I followed in suite.

He grabbed his keys and opened the grand front door.

"See you later." I said as I leaned against one of the many white columns that were lined up along the main hall.

"See you." Harry said back. He closed the door and I turned around to head upstairs. Suddenly, it opened again.