VI: close to me

Six weeks later;

As the hours turned into days, and days turned into weeks, the closer Mr. Styles and I got. Not sexually, but in the sense that we were almost friends in a really twisted way. I spent most of my days after school with my friends and him, working hard on the project so we could finish it before the school year ended.

Nothing intimate happened between us since November. I didn't question him about it. Not because I didn't want it, but because I didn't want to make things awkward. We were finally developing a regular teacher/student relationship, just how I originally wanted. We were now only a week away from Christmas break, and all of my teachers were attempting to stuff our minds as best as they could before we were gone for almost three weeks straight. It was brutal, and I was mentally exhausted. Mr. Styles was giving out an abnormal amount of work as well, but nothing too unreasonable. The other teachers were absolutely out of their minds. None of us were going to retain this information anyways? What was the point!

After all, it wasn't too horrible. Everything was coming together again. I was seeing my friends regularly, Mr. Styles and I treated each other normally, My parents still haven't called me, and I was falling more and more in love with the Institute and my possible career every day.

"Okay, Class." Mr. Styles spoke up as he clapped his hands together, awaking me from my haze. I pulled the headphones out of my ears and sat up properly.

"Christmas break is coming up, it is incredibly important that we finish these coming lessons before Friday. It'll seem like a lot, but I have faith that all of you can keep up." He said with a smile.

"Everything that will be on the smart board will  be written down on your copy of the note. I'm not making you write anything down until the worksheets because that takes up too much time. I have no idea why other teachers would make you guys write these crazy long notes!" He said jokingly. A rise of hallelujahs and laughter erupt from the class.

"Starting today until Friday, you will know all of the elements and principles of design, or at least have a general understanding of it. From commonly known ones like Colour and Contrast, all the way to elements like Unity."

The class silenced as he began to hand out the sheets. He gave me a friendly smile as he passed me, and I returned it.

When Mr. Styles returned to the front of the class, he immediately started the lesson.

"Contrast is the difference in values, colours, or other art elements." Mr. Styles spoke. "In everyday language, contrast is what makes art exciting and wonderful."

He suddenly pulled a large canvas from the side of the room. That was mine.

"This is an example of a painting that has a vast amount of value contrast. It is definitely an interesting piece, but it's beautiful." He looked at it in awe.

"The artist used contrast to their advantage; and the outcome is something incredible. When we move on to our painting unit, I strongly encourage you all to include value contrast in your pieces."

--

Mr. Styles went on about different elements and principles of design the whole class until the last five minutes when he decided to wrap it up.

"I think that's enough for your brains today. We will continue tomorrow. Are there any questions?" Mr. Styles scanned the room for any hands.