XIX: rent

After our successful date night a few weeks ago, Derrick and I really hit it off. We hung out frequently and studied together for exams.. I don't know what was different from this time than the last time we were going out, but it was good.

Unlike a few months ago, he wasn't constantly trying to make moves on me. He was letting me be, and when he let me be, I enjoyed his presence.

I still had Harry on my mind all the time. It was just lessened now that I was with Derrick.

Now that exams were finished, there was a lot off my plate. It was no longer mandatory to go to classes this week, but I attended Visual Art with my friends so we could continue creating paintings for the upper hall.

"It's so hot in here." Bella panted as she wiped sweat off her forehead.

"I'm opening the windows." Maddie said as she dramatically flung herself on the table.

"How are you wearing a long sleeve Alaska?" Alice yelled at me.

I took my burgundy long sleeve off and threw it onto my bag along with my other art supplies so that I was wearing a sports bra and high waisted denim shorts only.

"Not anymore." I said. I felt disgusting. It was nearly 4pm, and we had been stuck in the art room with no air conditioning nor air flow since 1.

Harry walked in the room with a few scrolls in hand and a bucket of acrylic and water paints in the other.

"Sorry Mr. Styles, we had to open the windows. It's like 40° in here." Bella explained as she fanned herself with her hands.

"Not a problem Bella. I agree it's pretty sweaty in here." Harry chuckled as he rolled up his sleeves.

He was making friendly conversation with everyone except me. Alice would occasionally give me looks anytime he would talk to me at all, but his tone with me was definitely different from how he was talking with everyone else.

On a positive note, my next work was almost completed. I had used water color and black ink to create it. It was something simple but aesthetically pleasing; a black and white contour drawing of a hand and a vase holding colorful flowers.

"This is almost done, Alaska. It looks lovely." Harry said as he looked over my shoulder.

"Thanks.. Just gotta sign it off and you can have it." I replied.

"That's good news." He said. He was still standing behind me after he was finished talking, his eyes watching intently on my every move. My phone rang in my pocket. I pulled it out and answered it. Harry stepped a bit back and pretended not to watch me, but I knew he was.

"Hey Lass, i'm picking you up soon and we're going for ice cream." Derrick said suddenly.

"Derrick! You don't have to drive all the way here I knew you were babysitting earlier...  It's a thirty minute drive!" I squealed.

"Too late, i'm already at the intersection right in front of the school. Be out in five minutes okay?" He said.

"Okay." I took my lip between my teeth to conceal my smile. "See you." I hung up. Harry had began to walk to his desk before I turned around to see if he was still there.