9 | The Darkness

9 | The Darkness

My feet slam against the pavement as I jog down the narrow pathway. The fiery yellow ball dips behind the solid grey buildings as I pass through the small town. The stench of litter lingers in the frosty air as I pass by the darker side of town.

I wanted to leave, but I couldn't bring myself to packing my belongings. Despite this gloomy town seconds away from imploding, I couldn't leave Scarlett. She's like a dark vortex sucking me closer because there's something alluring about a mystery.

A beat up Ute skids down the middle of the road defying the middle line. I pull my hoodie over my head and keep close to the building. I'm almost back to the safety.

I take a breath of relief when I walk into the lobby. Scarlett is seated behind her desk with the horrible wallpapering pealing. Even the wallpaper doesn't want to be here. The worst part? This place is beginning to feel familiar.

There's a loud grunt and then Scarlett bangs her head against the desk. The thump rings through the room and makes me wince. That must hurt.

"Are you having a rough day?" I chuckle.

Scarlett slowly pushes herself up and flops into the back of the swivel chair. She covers her mouth to yawn.

"Something like that," Scar mumbles in reply.

"I'd suggest a night drink but." I point to my face. "That wouldn't be a good idea."

"No, that wouldn't be." She laughs. "Do you want some more peas?"

"That would be good, thank you." I tug on a smile that instantly leaves my lip stinging.

Scarlett rushes in the direction of the kitchen and soon returns with a packet of peas. I gratefully take the cold compress and place it against my swollen face.

"Cheers."

"I um, I should get back to work." She points to the desk behind her.

"It's getting late." I frown. "So good luck!"

Heading for the stairs, I tackle them by two and follow the pathway to my room. I strip out of my clothes and step into the shower.

The water pelts down the streamline of my back. I rest my arm against the tiles and take a deep breath. I should probably do something. Grabbing the soap, I begin washing away the events of today.

After the shower, I flop onto bed dressed in a pair of briefs. The golden lamp sheds an ample amount of light. I stare at the ceiling and sigh with discontent. I wish I had a book.

There's a dainty knock against the door which captures my attention. It must be Scarlett.

I jump up from the bed and zoom towards the door.

"Hi Scarlett," I answer.

Her gaze is cast to the floor as she nervously fidgets with her fingers, "Can I spend the night with you?"