Chapter 21 - Hero

When Annie woke up, they were rolling on Nacimiento airport's tarmac. Her shoulders hurt like a bitch. She felt a dull throbbing in the muscles of her arms. She had overtaxed herself and she knew it. But it had all been worth it. Bugsy was safe. She observed the other girl as she maneuvered the rickety plane to its proper resting place. When Bugsy shut down the engine, Annie's ears were ringing like mad. They had both lost their earphones in the struggle. Annie wanted to massage her temples but couldn't raise her arms enough to reach them. She made an involuntary grunt, surprised by the sudden jolt of pain.

"You're awake. Are you okay?" Bugsy asked her in the sudden calm. They could hear emergency truck sirens far away.

"My shoulders are killing me. You look sick. You're literally green."

"Well, considering I just had a murderous alien inside me."

"Did it try to eat you?"

"It didn't have time, it was too busy fighting me for control. It was the worst experience of my life." Bugsy said shuddering. Annie thought she might be sick again, but her friend shook it off.

"I'm sorry for that." Annie said, eyes cast down.

"You? Why? You didn't do anything. Actually, you saved my life."

"I mean, my confession. The alien forcing you to accept me against your will." Annie said, close to tears.

"The alien was right in just one thing, I am straight. But I wasn't disgusted by your love for me. I was flattered. I may not be able to return your love like you hoped, but we still can be friends." Bugsy said as she opened her arms.

Annie dove into them. They hugged with the force of friendship forged by danger and shared secrets. They knew right then that they would be friends for life.

"I'm so glad I didn't offend you." Annie said.

"Silly goose. You save my life, you confess love for me, you rid me of an alien who would have given me the worst possible death. I'm so glad we met English." Bugsy took Annie's chin in her hand and gave her a slight kiss on the mouth. "I maybe not gay but I still love you." She said just before the paramedics opened the airplane's door. Bugsy had called them before landing.

"I hope that won't be the story of my life." Annie said as they put her on a gurney.

"No chance, you're too much of a good person, you're brave and you're cute. No way English." Bugsy said.

One of the paramedics added. "She's right. You are cute."

Both girls laughed as they were strapped securely inside the ambulance.

They stayed at the hospital for a month. Annie had torn her bicep and dislocated a shoulder. The shoulder had been the easy part. They put it back and she just had to wait for the pain to subside. The bicep had proven troublesome. It took forever to heal and hurt like hell. Bugsy also stayed for a month. The doctors flushed her stomach many times and made her endure one colonoscopy after another. It seems the alien had fed on her after all. They observed her to see if no ill effect would result from her exposure to the alien.

The guys visited often in the first week. They had to leave to do charity shows all over the world to help people's morale after the scare of an alien invasion. John kissed her forehead on their last visit. Annie gave him an envelope.

"What's this? A love letter? I'm flattered."

"Idiot, it's my resignation letter." Annie said.

"Good, you can do better than babysitting four idiots like us." Mathew said.

"Not really. I think this was my best job. I'm lucky to have got to know you all." Annie said.

"Aww. You're gonna make us cry." Said David, feigning tears.

"We sure will miss you Mz. Goldman. That's for sure. You're an international hero. Your story has gone around the world. You saved humanity. You saved us. If nobody comes up and thanks you on behalf of humanity. We will do it now. Thank you Annie Goldman. Thank you for saving this planet from the horrible fate the alien had planned for us all. It was a privilege to have known you. In ten years, we will be the ones saying: 'Annie Goldman? Yeah, we knew her.' Not the other way around. Again, thank you." Peter bowed.

They all bowed and thanked her. Annie cried like an idiot. She was touched. She had barely tolerated them when she first met them. But they had grown on her. They revealed themselves to be the nicest people. She loved them all. When they left, they promised to stay in touch and exited the room. Bugsy was in her room's door frame.

"Nice guys." She commented.

"The best."

"How's it going?"

"My bicep twitch day and night. I barely sleep. You?"

"Don't ask. My butt is raw."

"Eww." Annie grimaced. "But, you are well aren't you?"

"They found nothing that antibiotics can't cure. My stomach lining is... Well, it's not as bad as they initially thought. Stomach pain hurts like a bitch though." To prove her point, she involuntarily farted. Quite loudly. They laughed so hard that the duty nurse came to shush them down.

When Bugsy was discharged two days before her, she came to see Annie to say goodbye.

"Hey English. What are you going to do now? You know you're famous." Bugsy said as she sat down in one of the room's uncomfortable metal chairs.

"I had to refuse an interview with Jimmy Fallon because it clashed with the one I had with Oprah. Can you imagine that?"

"Not really." Bugsy said laughing.

"Now, I know a little how the guys felt. Overwhelmed would be the word." Annie said.

"Yeah... Listen, you have my e-mail?" Annie nodded. "My cell number?" Annie nodded again. "Good." Bugsy seemed lost for words.

"Bugsy." Annie said.

"Hmm?"

"You're officially invited to England. We'll visit Kirton-in-Lindsey together, bring Janey. She'll probably like to see where mister Moore served during the war."

"It's funny you mentioned it, she warmed to my charming personality overnight. It's a miracle."

"She sees you for who you are and not for what people tell her you are. That's why her father liked you so much Bugsy. He saw you. Not the gossips."

Bugsy came closer and deposited a light kiss on Annie's lips. "You're making me sorry I like boys, English."

Annie touched her lips. "Me too."

They hugged and Bugsy left Annie's room with her bag.

Annie cried silently. Heartbroken was too light a word to describe what she felt right now. For the first time in weeks, she forgot about the pain in her arm.