Chapter 7 - JLo

Oh dear, thought Annie. She's even more beautiful in person.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt Nathan." She stopped and looked at Annie intently. "Miss... Goldstein?"

"Goldman ma'am." Annie corrected her.

"Sorry, so many people, so little time." A predatory smile etched itself on her glamorous face. "You take care of the Second Chance band do you?"

"I'm impressed Mz. Lopez. Do you know about everyone on this production?" Annie asked her. She was observing the woman in front of her, remembering every detail about her face. She noticed something strange. A dark spot situated right between Jennifer Lopez's eyebrows. It was black and shiny. It was the size of a pin's head and barely distinguishable.

"I know about the people who interest me. And you my dear are the assistant of people who interest me. How's my cat?" She asked out of the blue. Even Caulfield was taken aback.

"Your cat? You told me it was Brian who sent it to you for them." He said puzzled.

"Details, shmetails. Who cares who's cat it is as long as it reached them. Did it miss Goldman?" She asked Annie in a mellifluous voice.

"Oh that it did indeed. I'm afraid to say that the poor beast is quite dissolved and dead right now. I'm sorry." Annie said, not feeling sorry for it one bit. She did feel sorry for Caulfield and herself though, the real culprit of all this was right here with them. It was embedded in the body of none other than one of Annie's favorite artist. And what a body. Annie dreaded what was coming next. Confrontation and confirmation that the breath freshener was indeed effective against these creatures. Or not.

"Dissolved? Good. Then the process has begun I take it?" JLo asked, approaching her. She could clearly see the dot between her eyebrows better now. Annie thought she was going crazy, but this shiny orb looked like a tiny eye.

Annie fished inside her purse in search for one of the little bottles there. JLo closed the space between them and grabbed Annie's bag with a perfectly manicured hand. She pushed her to the floor with the other. Annie felt like she had been kicked by a mule. She went flying backwards and landed on the ground right on the coccyx. A bolt of white pain shot up her spine and she couldn't breathe from the shock of the initial push.

Caulfield stood up. "Really Mz. Lopez, there is no need for violence." He started to walk in Annie's direction but was quickly intercepted by JLo. She grabbed the poor man by the throat and threw him across the huge office. He landed behind a big leather chair in a pathetic position. One leg was over the back of the chair the other on the floor, the rest of his body was hidden by the big piece of furniture. He stopped moving.

Annie was in a world of pain. She was trying to back away from the monster that had been the beautiful Jennifer Lopez. JLo's body had started to distort and its limbs elongate in grotesque ways.

"Did I break you? I hope not. We got so much to talk about you and I." Said the monstrous apparition.

Annie's lungs remembered how to breathe and she took a big gulp of blessed air. When she breathed more or less normally she said. "I wish you wouldn't do that."

"Do what dear?"

"Change shapes like that, it's nauseating."

The creature reformed the original shape of Jennifer Lopez's limbs.

Annie breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you. Do you have a name?"

"Jennifer."

"Oh. Where do you come from?"

"Is this a human game?"

"Not really," Annie said.

"We come from a system quite close to yours. We just need a new place to live. Our home was so drab and gloomy. That brown dwarf was so depressing. You won't even notice us." Jennifer said.

"Are you some kind of symbiote?"

"I wish we were. You earthling are such lovely people. Sorry but no, we're your usual parasite. Our host is controlled, assimilated and eaten. Then they are discarded for a new host."

"Oh God."

"Your God is not here little girl." Said Jennifer the alien parasite. She was slowly approaching Annie and had a hungry look in her eyes. "My host is at the end of her usefulness. I'm almost done eating her flesh. Her skin can barely contain me now." It had been said with such cold lack of feeling. Annie felt chills go down her spine. Jennifer sat down on Annie's stomach. Annie had tried to crawl away from the monstrous creature but her coccyx hurt so much she had barely moved at all. When Jennifer put her weight on Annie's midsection, the pain doubled and Annie couldn't refrain from screaming. Jennifer just laughed and as she brought her face closer to Annie's, it cracked and opened up letting the orange and pink oozing flesh pour out.

"Open wide Annie my dear, I'd like to visit you for a while. Maybe just grab a bite and go." At that, she laughed a creepy maniacal laugh. Annie screamed, scared out of her wits. She knew she was going to die. No, not die. But slowly feel being eaten alive and there would be nothing she would be able to do about it. Screaming inside her head and nobody to hear her cries of pain and despair. Death, when it came, would be a blessing.