Chapter 19 - Preparations for War

They found the airfield in a bustle of frenzied activity. The army had supplied the personnel. There was a lineup of tanker trucks from the Lake Breeze company all waiting to deliver their payload. The lights were all ablaze putting all the planes in stark contrast with the starry night. Annie found Bugsy talking with an army man filling up her plane with the breath freshener liquid.

Bugsy saw Annie coming her way and said. "Finally. I thought you were going to marry that big guy. You were so long in there with him."

"Jealous?" Annie said with a mischievous smile.

"Hum. Maybe." They came closer and their lips almost touched, but they parted hastily as an army technician walked by in a hurry. Bugsy blushed and changed the subject. "Going to be nice to spray something that smells good for a change. They flushed the plane's whole system before filling her up with that stuff."

"Why?"

"Not to contaminate the stuff with insecticide. I am going to spray Los Angeles and its population after all. We want to save them, not poison them all."

"Why breath freshener? Why not just put that green colorant?" Annie asked.

"Not enough colorant for all the planes. There's plenty when diluted in the breath freshener. Are you full of questions today. You worried for me?" Bugsy came close again.

"Yes. Can't you see it? I've fallen for you. I love you and I would die if something happened to you." Annie put her hand in front of her mouth. "What I am saying? I'm sorry Bugsy. I didn't want to embarrass you." Annie said, tears in her eyes. She had never confessed to anyone before.

"Embarrass me? Oh you little idiot." Bugsy took her in her arms and said. "Nothing's going to happen to me."

Annie smiled back to her. Her whole face was lit up by joy. "Then you have to take me with you on this flight. My fate will be your fate."

"Are you nuts?" Bugsy said.

"Nothing has ever been clearer in my mind before. I just found you and I'm not letting you out of my sight." Annie said fervently.

"Possessive much?"

"Not possessive, worried."

"Aww." Bugsy kissed her forehead. "I knew you cared."

Annie came closer for a more serious kiss, but Bugsy pulled away.

"What?" Annie said as her face fell from the rejection.

"Too many eyes. You might have told the whole planet that you're a lesbian but I hid my... hem, sexual preferences. I've been in a few relationships before but I kept them secret. You obviously did the opposite. You told everyone and his sister but were too shy to ask people to go out in fear that you might confess to a hetero." Bugsy said looking around to see if anyone saw them.

"So we're both idiots. Your point is moot because now we found each other. I don't know about you but now that I found someone who feels the same, I'm never going to let you go."

"Nice, my own personal slave." Bugsy said playfully.

"Dream on. Do you need help with anything?"

"Sure, come here." Bugsy showed her some gear that she needed to put in the plane's cockpit and both girls got to work blending in with the night's frenzy preparations.

The planes lifted off thirty minutes later in a huge cloud of dust. Annie sat nervously next to Bugsy in the plane's cramped cockpit. She observed her friend as she prepared the plane for takeoff in smooth and practiced gestures. Flipping switches, checking a list, knocking on gages, moving levers in fluid motions and finally calling the control tower for clearance to take off. Annie was impressed with the other girl's expertise. She was a natural to be sure. She seemed at home. Like she belonged there flying this weirdly shaped airplane. A crop duster was a stubby ugly affair. Annie had never flown in an airplane this size before. Always big commercial monsters who muted the sensations of flight by their sheer size. But this plane was not muted at all. She felt every throb of the engine and every bump on the runaway. The noise from the big radial engine was deafening and Bugsy had given her a big pair of earphones that muffled a little the cacophony. They had a small microphone that dangled in front of her mouth and they could communicate this way without shouting. They finally taxied their way to the proper place at the beginning of the airstrip. Bugsy revved the engine and she gunned it when she got the go ahead. Putting the engine in full throttle. If the airplane had been loud before, it was screaming now. They were barreling down the runway and Annie felt the airplane lift from the ground after a few seconds of hectic acceleration. She had totally forgotten her fears. The takeoff had been exhilarating. They were climbing smoothly at a very fast rate. The engine was very powerful. When they leveled, Bugsy eased off the engine and it subsided to a muted roar.

"We should reach Los Angeles in about an hour. I'm so excited. I've never flown over a big city before."

"And here I was, thinking you fly jockeys were brave when it was all about the thrill. I must confess myself as disappointed." Annie said, teasing.

"Har har. Very funny English." Bugsy gave Annie a sideways glance. "So, you never told anyone you had a crush on that you liked them before?"

"No. I was afraid that the person might be straight. It's not like I can walk up to a girl I like and ask her if she's a lesbian. Besides, I'm kind of shy. I've never hidden the fact that I'm gay, but I've never flaunted it around either."

"Well, I'm the opposite. I'm not shy about approaching people and telling them that I like them. It was simple in L.A., nobody knew me there. But here in my hometown... I don't know. I didn't want to be treated differently. You know." Bugsy said in a low voice.

"That option wasn't available for me." Annie said laughing.

"Why?"

"Because, when I watched a movie with my father. It was a movie with one of those beautiful actresses. I don't remember it now but what I do remember is that I told my father that the guy was lucky. He asked me why and I told him that he was lucky to kiss her. He knew right there and then. I was twelve or thirteen at the time. He didn't make a fuss and after the initial shock, we talked about it quite naturally." Annie said.

"I envy you that. I was always afraid of my father's reaction so I never tried to tell him."

They talked a little more and Annie looked out of the window. The other planes weren't in sight.

"Where are the others? I can't see them." Annie asked Bugsy.

"They should be there. Two o'clock." She pointed slightly to the right in front of them.

"No. I still can't see them. How long until we reach the city limits?"

"Are you going to ask me 'are we there yet?' like in those bad family movies?" Bugsy stuck out her tongue at Annie.

That's when Annie saw it. Bugsy's tongue didn't look normal. It was orange with pink patches. Bugsy looked at her, slowly smiled and flicked a switch. Autopilot probably.

Annie flinched and tried to act normal. "Sorry to be such a worry wart. I was just wondering where everybody was."

"They should be right on course. You and I, on the other hand, are taking the scenic route. I wanted some alone time with you. We could even make out a little. The plane is on autopilot and it's quite safe. What do you say Annie my love? Feel like cuddling?"

Oh god no, thought Annie. She's one of them!