Chapter 16 - Minty Freshness

"Why do they call you Bugsy?" Annie asked the other girl as she dipped a bit of naan bread into her soup.

"Ah. The nickname. It started with my name. Melanie. Hated it since day one. So my dad called me 'Bugs Eyes' at first because I had these huge eyes when I was a kid. After a while, it was shortened to 'Bugsy'. That's all there is to it." Bugsy lifted three fingers in the air. "Scout's honor."

Their discussion was cut short by exclamations from the patrons closest to the television set. It seems one could not get away from the news in America, thought Annie.

The TV screen was displaying scenes of mayhem and destruction in places all over the world. Annie gasped as they showed footage from the BBC from London.

Bugsy's phone chose that moment to ring. The ringtone was the main theme from the movie E.T.

Annie gave Bugsy a look. "What? I love E.T." She answered, listened and offered the device to Annie saying. "My father."

"Yes?" Annie answered.

"You need to come here at the station pronto. I got someone whose very interested to meet you." Chief Malone told her.

"I can be there in an hour if it doesn't bother Bugsy to bring me back."

"You don't understand. This person can't be made to wait."

"Who is it?" Annie asked suddenly very worried.

"The First Lady, Michelle Obama."

"WHAT!"

"What?" Echoed Bugsy.

"Your father says he's got Michelle Obama waiting at the station for me."

Bugsy's eyes grew the size of half-dollars. "I always wanted to meet her." She said in awe. "Wait, what? Seriously?"

"Yes."

More people gasping. Their attention went to the TV screen again. Displayed there was Michelle Obama sitting on the President, spraying something in the struggling president's mouth.

"Oh my god. The president was infected." Annie said.

"What? Yes. Are you still there? I called the FBI after your incident with the mayor and they got to the president in time thanks to you two girls. They have a plan and The First Lady is here in person to consult you and to thank you personally."

Annie passed the phone back to Bugsy saying. "She wants to thank me personally..."

She could hear Bugsy's dad screaming from the phone. "Are you still there? GET YOUR ASSES TO THE STATION. ON THE DOUBLE!"

"Alright, alright already. We're going. Don't pop a stitch Frankenstein." Bugsy said to her father as she closed the line. She yelled to her mother. "MOM! COULD YOU PACK THE BUTTER CHICKEN TO GO? MICHELLE OBAMA IS WAITING FOR US AT THE STATION." After what the patrons had seen on the news, all eyes turned in their direction. Bugsy seemed to enjoy herself but Annie felt like she was shrinking. The space under the table looked very inviting right now.

Then the situation got worse. A lot worse. The guys came in. They spotted Annie and made a beeline towards the two girls. Bugsy's mouth was open.

"You better close your yap before a bug flies in." Annie said to Bugsy annoyed. What did she expect? For Bugsy to like her back the way she did? Maybe Bugsy was in awe of their celebrity. When the guys got closer, Bugsy fawned like a schoolgirl. Annie's heart sank.

"Hello love, miss me?" Mathew said winking at Annie mischievously. She had to laugh.

"You guys saw the news? About L.A., London too." Annie said.

"All over the world actually." Bugsy wiped her damp hand on her flight suit and presented it to David. "Bugsy Malone. I'm the chief's daughter."

David took her proffered hand and sat down next to her kissing it. He smelled the butter chicken and exclaimed. "That smells heavenly!"

"This is my mother's restaurant, all the food here is from my grandmother's recipes."

"You don't say." John had taken a fork and shoved some of it in his mouth. "This is good!" He exclaimed. "I'm starving. Our facilitator forgot to feed her favorite pets. Namely us." He feigned crying.

Bugsy laughed and told him they had to go to the police station. "My mom is going to pack the food to go. You're all welcome to accompany us if you wish."

"That's why we're here. Aside from the fact that Annie left us to starve." Peter said teasingly.

"You guys left me to go see the mayor by myself. He almost killed Bugsy and me. He wanted to infect you guys but he was willing to compromise with me." Annie barked.

"And you took care of it like a good facilitator. I mean, honestly, are we supposed to see every alien creature that wants to take over our beautiful bodies?" David said jokingly. "Also, we called the chief to see where you were. We were hungry you see. The chief told us to come and get and bring you back to the police station."

Annie made an exasperated grunt and left them there laughing. She was also a little sad to see the way Bugsy was ogling the guys. "I almost get killed and all you guys think about is your empty stomachs. Honestly." She headed for the front door and made a beeline for Bugsy's car.

When the guys saw Bugsy's car, they all wanted to ride with her. Peter gestured for Annie to follow him to the Bentley. She looked at Bugsy who was busy describing her car to Mathew. John and David had their heads inside the car's side windows admiring it.

Annie followed Peter and got in the Bentley.

He observed her in a sideways glance and said. "Are you crushing on the chief's daughter?"

"What if I am? There's nothing wrong with that, isn't it?" She told him testily.

"I'm on your side remember? We're friends, are we not?"

Ashamed, Annie said. "Sorry, I was a little on the defensive."

"First crush?"

"No, but she's the first I had the courage to talk to. I really like her."

"And does she reciprocate?" Peter said as he dug in the big bag Bugsy's mom had prepared for them. He munched on naan bread.

"I thought she was. I have zero experience in this matter. I'm kind of stupid when it comes to expressing my feelings to someone I like."

"Welcome to the human condition love." Peter said laughing. "Is she... you know."

"Gay? I don't know." Annie said dejected.

"Then may I suggest that you tell this girl how you really feel about her. You'll regret it if you don't." Peter said wisely. He parked the big car in the police station's parking lot. "Right." Peter said clutching the leather and wood steering wheel.

"What?" Annie asked him curious.

"Michelle Obama." He replied simply.

"Oh." She had almost forgotten.