Chapter 15 - Invasion Over Dinner

Annie woke up in Bugsy's car. She was laid down comfortably in the car's immense back seat. They were moving and she could see the back of Bugsy's head in the driver's seat.

"Ahh.." Annie tried to put an elbow under her and sit up.

"You going to be sick? Cuz, I can stop. Just don't do it here." Bugsy said.

"I feel like I got run over by a lorry." Annie said as she wiped the drool off her mouth.

"Hey you drooled all over my vintage seats!"

"Eyes on the road gearhead." Annie said laughing. "I feel like rubbish."

"When was the last time you ate?" Bugsy asked Annie.

"I nibbled on something that looked like scrambled eggs this morning in a diner at the edge of town."

"Morty's? You must have a death wish." Bugsy laughed. "No wonder you pass out every time you get excited. Let's get some decent food in you. I know just the place."

"Five seconds ago you were worried about me puking all over your precious car and now you want to fill me with greasy fast food."

"I'm hurt by your lack of faith in my culinary judgment." Bugsy feigned having heart palpitations.

Annie had to laugh at the other girl's bonhomie.

"I'm taking you to my mom's restaurant."

"Your mother has a restaurant?"

"Sure, why not?"

"It's a tough business. I know, I majored in business administration." Annie said, not without pride.

"Not when you enjoy a monopoly." Bugsy said. "She specializes in something you might enjoy."

When Bugsy parked the Studebaker in the restaurant's parking lot, Annie understood everything. "Indian food! Bugsy you're a genius!"

"Of course." Bugsy replied as she opened the front door and let Annie go in gallantly.

The atmosphere, the aromas. Everything was just perfect and it showed. The place was packed.

A woman in a sari came over. "About time you come and see you poor mother!"

"Hey mom, still rocking the sari I see. You got space?"

"Humph, yes hold on." Bugsy's mom made a gesture to one of the bus boys. He understood right away and left for the back of the restaurant.

"Coming here unannounced after neglecting me for so long."

"Mom this is Annie. Could you make some of your butter chicken for us? Pretty please?"

"You think I make it especially for you? This is a restaurant child!"

"Thanks mom, you're the best." Bugsy walked away towards where the busboy had disappeared and whispered in Annie's ears. "She a bit rough around the edges but she's good people."

"I heard that!" Her mom shouted.

"Damn." Bugsy swore.

Annie laughed and asked: "Is your mom Indian?"

"Half. The other half is not so polite Canadian." Bugsy said as they both sat down at an improvised table in the back corner of the restaurant. A waiter came over and deposited a big tray with butter chicken and two bowls of steaming hot lentil soup. Extra spicy as Annie discovered almost choking with shock.

"This..." She pointed the soup with her spoon. "Is really good."

"Eat as much as you want. It's my treat."

"You meant my treat I'm sure darling." Her mom who had suddenly appeared beside their table said.

"God mom, don't sneak up on us like that." Bugsy said half-choking with fright.

Bugsy's mom turned to Annie. "She can treat you because she never pays. So you like my soup?"

"It's really good ma'am." Annie pronounced ma'am like mom. It made Bugsy laugh.

"I know it is. It's a recipe from my mother."

"It's as good if not better than the Indian food at home in England."

"Of course it is." Said Bugsy's mother as she left walking with her head high.

"Now her head won't fit between door frames. Good job English."

"I heard that!" Bugsy's mom said, not bothering to turn her head.

"So your mom's half Indian half Canadian? Where is your grandmama?"

"Grandmama!? She lives in Toronto. She was sold to a man there when she was fifteen. She ran away from what was basically slavery and met my grandfather by chance half an hour later. She explained timidly to him in broken English what she had just escaped. He was fourteen and convinced his parents to take my grandmother in. My grandparents are both sweethearts. I don't know where my mom got that temper of hers."

Annie was laughing nervously looking around to see if Bugsy's formidable mother was in earshot.

"How about you? What's your sad story?" Bugsy asked Annie.

Annie shook her head. "No sad story. My family's from German Jewish ancestry. My great-grandparents moved to England in 1922. They built a modest business in dry goods and made their fortune during WW2. They also lost their eldest son to the war. My grandfather was too young to fight in the war but he was old enough to understand it. He was astonished when he and the rest of the world learned about the Holocaust. My dad was born in 68 and I in 96. Happy childhood. Studied like mad and with the help of my uncle made it through Oxford with honors."

"Wow, take a breath you overachiever." Bugsy said laughing.

"You?" Annie said tentatively.

"Same. Happy childhood. Went to L.A. with dreams of acting. Ended up with a pimp and an addiction. Got through the addiction with my father's help and some serious rehab. Came back here and pops Moore took me under his wing to Janey's horror and showed me how to fly a plane." Bugsy said looking like she couldn't believe she had laid out her past to this total stranger.