Chapter 17 - Michelle Obama

The place was empty. A great contrast from the last time she'd been here. When the chief came out of his office, Annie asked him where everyone was.

He had a half urgent, half panicked look on his face when he answered. "On patrol or guarding the breath freshener plant. The First Lady doesn't want to take any chances."

"Is she in there?" Mathew asked him, pointing to his office.

"Yes, she's waiting for you." Chief Malone said.

"Here we go again." John said.

"What? I like Michelle Obama." Mathew said innocently.

"He also has a thing for our Queen." John explained to a laughing Annie.

"Don't forget Margaret Thatcher." Peter piped in.

"I happen to like strong women and our queen was beautiful when she was my age." Mathew said defensively.

Everyone but the chief was laughing. "Will you go in for God's sake. You're making the First Lady wait." He said impatiently.

They all stopped laughing and realized who it was that was waiting for them on the other side of the office door. Mathew was the first to move, he went to the door and opened it. They all filed in and Annie spotted Michelle Obama sleeping on the couch with two of the biggest men she had even seen watching over the First Lady. They tensed. One put a hand inside his coat pocket, the other gently woke the sleeping lady. She took a while to gather her surroundings and get her bearings back. She whispered something to the behemoth of a man next to her and stood up.

"I'm sorry you caught me napping. The truth is that I'm exhausted. With all that is happening in this country and my husband almost being eaten alive. Well, you can imagine my last 12 hours." Michelle Obama said apologetically.

The two guards went outside. When the door closed, she pointed to the guys and said. "You four I know. Second Chance right?"

"Yes ma'am." Mathew said.

"My daughter is a big fan." She pointed to Bugsy. "You are Melanie 'Bugsy' Malone. The chief's daughter."

"Yes ma'am, how did you...?" Bugsy said surprised.

"Pictures on your father's desk." She then pointed to Annie. "By process of elimination, you must be Annie Goldman. Am I right young lady?"

"Yes ma'am." Annie said impressed with the first lady of the United States of America.

The same First Lady came forward and embraced a very stupefied Annie. When she let her go, Michelle Obama said. "I believe I have you to thank for my husband's safety and well being. Thank you on behalf of this country but especially on behalf of our family. Thanks to you, my two daughters still have a father and this country its president." Michelle Obama said solemnly.

Annie was lost for words. She started crying and babbled. "Nobody believed me. They thought I was joking or something. I survived and killed those creatures by sheer luck. I'm glad the chief had the foresight to finally call the authorities, saving your husband and some more people I'm sure. The guys here almost got eaten themselves. Jennifer Lopez. The Mayor of this town. So many people. Before they attacked me, two of those creatures talked to me."

"They talked to you? What did they say?" The first lady asked.

"That they were here to feed. On us namely. They came from a brown dwarf planetary system and had exhausted their resources. They told me that they evolved over the eons to be the apex predator in any system. On any planet and with almost any creatures. So far, none of them had been killed by their prey. The one controlling the mayor told me it had been informed from another infected in Los Angeles that I've been spotted near all these monster's deaths. He was right. I was the one who killed the little cat that tried to infect John here."

"She saved me alright." John said, smiling at Annie who smiled back.

"Then, John and I took care of the three that had already infected Peter, Mathew and David." Annie explained.

"Don't remind me." Said David.

"Then... Jennifer Lopez. Poor JLo. The Mayor. He almost killed Bugsy and I."

"She saved me with my own gun." Bugsy said.

"And I don't want to touch another one for as long as I live." Annie said shivering at the memory.

"And you found out that the breath freshener made here in this town was toxic to these creatures by accident?" Michelle Obama asked Annie.

"By pure dumb luck ma'am. I just grabbed the first thing in my purse and stupidly sprayed the creature with it. The results were extraordinary. It was like spraying acid on them. Even if it's just a little that touches them, it spreads like a disease and they completely dissolve." Annie said wiping her tears with a tissue given to her by Bugsy.

"We found out it was only one of the ingredients. The green food coloring dye. Some things happen in our lives by chance. Some war heroes will tell you that bravery, but mostly, luck was the key factor of their survival. We meet our future husbands, wifes and friends by chance. Make life changing decisions and with a little luck, it works and we prosper. Maybe your destiny was to survive the alien's attack and at the same time find the thing that will save us all." The First Lady said.

Annie replied. "I believe you're absolutely right ma'am. Luck was good to me lately. In surviving and... meeting new friends." She concluding looking meaningfully at Bugsy who smiled back at her.

"I'm here to set up a plan of action that may involve a few pilots from here. Crop dusting pilots. My husband's advisors want to load up your crop duster planes with the breath freshener liquid and spray the city of Los Angeles as a test to see the effectiveness of the product and stop the spreading of the aliens who are indistinguishable from regular people."

"Well, that's not exactly true. You see, when they are close to the skin. When they almost ate all the host they inhabit. A little black eye the size of a tapioca pea appears right between the eyes. I saw this with Jennifer Lopez." Annie explained to Michelle Obama.

"Good merciful God." Michelle Obama exclaimed. "Jack!" She called. One of the huge guards came in. "Please, Jack. Could take Mz. Goldman's deposition. I want every detail she can remember."

"Even the gory ones?" Annie said.

"Especially the gory ones. They might be something important." Annie gave her a look. "Hey, I love horror stories. I'm a big fan of Stephen King." Michelle Obama said jokingly.

"Well, you're in luck. You're right smack in the middle of one." Annie said.