Chapter 20 - Heartbreak

Annie shuddered. The way Bugsy was looking at her right now was repulsing. She felt like a piece of meat being appraised. She promised herself that in the unlikelihood she survived this day, she would become a vegetarian.

"Maybe we should get better acquainted first?" Annie stuttered.

"Why the sudden shyness? Is it something I did?"

"No, no. It's just that..." Annie couldn't think of anything. Her mind was frozen blank by fear and terror.

"It's just what?" Bugsy demanded, exasperated to the limit of self-control. She looked dangerously close to attacking her.

"I know you're one of them. I don't know how it happened but I just know it."

"Ah, my tongue. I'm such a silly goose. You saw the infected flesh. You are sharp. No wonder you killed so many of us. We're very sore about that you know. No creature we ever met has done what you did. Even with the luck you seem to be blessed with, it's very unlikely that anyone would survive attacks from so many of us and survive to tell the tale."

Annie felt like she was shriveling inside. She tried to speak but nothing came out.

"Cat got your tongue?" Bugsy teased her. Her face was cruel now. Very different from a few minutes ago when it was full of love and affection for her. It had been all a sham to get alone with her. But why? She asked Bugsy.

"Why? Poor dear. You still haven't figured it out yet? First, to get rid of the killer who slew so many of my brethren. Second, if I infect you, I can infect the rest of that pathetic boy band of yours. They get to see important people, do they not? We can infect them too. Third, I love you English. Oops, I'm afraid I lied there. I really hate you with all my being and the real Bugsy trapped inside this delicious shell was screaming in disgust at the thought of kissing you. Sorry love, but I'm afraid she doesn't fancy girls. She isn't a freak like you. Her words not mine." Bugsy said with a cruel smile.

"Why are you so full of hate?" Annie said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Why not?" Bugsy flicked another switch. Annie heard a loud sound not unlike a waterfall. "Time to dump this disgusting liquid. This is just a minor setback. We'll eat you all. Don't worry love."

Annie felt a slow cold fury surging through her and said. "You unholy monster..." She reached inside her purse but before her fingers closed in on the small bottle, Bugsy grabbed her purse and took it away from her easily. She was bigger than Annie and with the creature driving her, she was really strong.

"I'll take that thank you." She opened the door next to her and threw the bag into the void outside. Annie's rage got past the point of self-preservation and she threw herself at Bugsy. The latter, caught by surprise, didn't react fast enough to stop their slow tumbling out of the airplane. The both fell on the wing. Bugsy tried frantically to hold on to the outside handle situated close to the door. Annie was beyond reason as she tried to pry off the other girl's fingers from the handle.

"Stop it you witless girl. You'll kill us both! If my host is broken, I'll die."

"That's the idea." Annie screamed into Bugsy's ear. They lost their earphones when they fell out of the airplane.

Annie looked at the plane's wings. The breath freshener was pouring out from under the wing in a cloud that trailed behind them. She pulled at the other girl with renewed strength. She had an idea! Her eyes full of tears saw Bugsy's grip starting to falter. Panic showed in the alien's eyes. Annie reached down under the wing and scooped some of the escaping liquid. She brought back the hand to her mouth and drank what she could in the one hundred and fifty miles per hours winds. She reached again under the wing and drank some more until her mouth was full of the minty liquid.

Unsuspecting, Bugsy looked at her in horror as she tried to hold on for dear life to the little handle. Annie slowly relented her pulls and actually climbed back towards the cockpit to the other girl's frank relief. As Annie got close, she grabbed Bugsy behind the head and kissed her full on the mouth. Isn't it what that vile creature wanted? It was served!

The liquid transferred from Annie's mouth to Bugsy's. Her triumphant look slowly changed to horror as the alien realized what Annie was doing.

It was too late.

In the ensuing frenzy, Bugsy let go of the handle and both girls started to tumble towards the edge of the wing. Annie reached to grab the handle and caught it. The strain on her arm was enormous as she tried to keep the bigger girl from falling by grabbing her belt. Bugsy was violently sick for what seemed to be an eternity to Annie whose strength was waning fast. When Bugsy's body went limp, Annie's hopes of surviving this ordeal died on the spot. There was no way she could bring an unconscious Bugsy back into the awaiting cockpit just a few meters away.

With tears in her eyes from the constant buffeting of the wind, she thought of her life. Of Bugsy. She couldn't let go of her. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she did that. But her strength was failing her. She didn't know how long she could hold on to the limp body of her friend. With a great cry, she heaved at the belt. Pulling and tugging with a strength that was past her limits. She felt her muscles scream in protest. Bugsy moved closer inch by excruciating inch. When the other girl's body was almost all on the wing, Annie permitted herself a little rest. Bugsy stirred and looked up at her. She said something that was lost in the hurricane-like winds. Bugsy doubled over and was sick again, but it passed quickly. She reached up to grab Annie by the shoulders and got a hold on the handle again. Not a moment to soon it seemed as Annie passed out from the strain of holding her. Bugsy grabbed her friend and put her in the cockpit's safety.