Tur-ip

Just a short, cute one shot to try and get me out of this creative slump I've been in for a long while.

( I started this back in May and just came across it again so I quickly finished it off bc I thought the idea was cute.)

Inspired by this tweet

Mitch raised his hand to knock, the flimsy paper card clutched delicately in his other hand, careful not to crumple what he had slaved over for an entire hour the night before

Mitch raised his hand to knock, the flimsy paper card clutched delicately in his other hand, careful not to crumple what he had slaved over for an entire hour the night before. He paused before he connected with the door, the doubt starting to set in. The entire time he spent neatly drawing a family of turtles heading out on vacation, he didn't even think about having to actually hand it over. He was fifteen years old, he shouldn't still be making homemade cards and he certainly shouldn't be making them for his hot neighbour who was only going on vacation for a week. What the hell had he been thinking?

He was one second away from turning around, bolting for his house and dumping the card in the trash where it belonged. But before he could even drop his hand from where it was still held up in a fist only inches from its intended target, the door opened, startling him and causing him to pull his arm into his body as he jumped back.

"Mitchell, dear, hello. I saw you standing out here but I didn't hear you knock," Connie greeted, smile warm and bright, making Mitch's mind wonder to the image of an eerily similar smile.

Mitch's face flushed slightly, embarrassed at not only being caught lurking outside their house, but for also having no reason for doing so. He had decided that under no circumstances was Scott ever going to get to see this card so that left him fresh out of excuses for showing up at their house, unannounced, at 8am.

"I- em, I hadn't knocked yet. I was just gonna go home actually. I'm sure you don't need me getting in your way when you're trying to leave for vacation," Mitch rubbed the back of his neck, looking down at the ground sheepishly. This was a stupid idea. What was he even thinking?

"Oh, don't worry about it. I'll go get Scott for you..." she paused before raising a fair brow. "I assume it is Scott you're here to see?"

He shouldn't be surprised that she had to question who he was here to see, it wasn't like he and Scott were friends exactly. Unless quietly pining for the older boy from the safety of his bedroom and the occasional passing 'hi' counted as being friends. Scott was only a year older but that year meant a lot, he was much too cool for Mitch - as made evident by the card he was currently holding behind his back.

"No. Well, um, yes, but I'm just going to leave. It's okay," he rushed out just as quickly as the colour rising to his cheeks.

"Oh no, it's really alright. We do have to leave in about ten minutes but it's not a bother. It'll stop him from getting under my feet," she joked, chuckling at herself before turning to call for her son.