Will You Dance With Me?

Mitch and I's first date was a cliché, cheesy affair.

I took him to dinner in a cute, little Italian restaurant that relied heavily on candle light with violins playing throughout the establishment. We talked over our plates of pasta, sneaking a taste of each other's then washing it down with a glass of wine. We split our dessert of tiramisu, me allowing Mitch to have most of it because the way his eyes lit up when the treat hit his tongue was sweet enough for me. Mitch had reached over halfway through to wipe the corner of my mouth with a napkin before pulling his hand back with a light pink then dusting his cheeks.

The night led to us taking a stroll down by Venice beach, his hand in mine. We watched the sunset sitting side by side on the sand. I tried to subtly move closer but he noticed and slid closer to me instead. I wrapped my arm around his narrow shoulders and he rested his head on mine. We talked about everything and nothing way into the night. It was easily 1am by the time we untangled ourselves and stood to leave. We made our way towards the pier where an older gentlemen, draped in ill-fitting clothing and a thick, shaggy beard, was quietly playing an out of tune guitar. It didn't sound great but Mitch wanted to stop and listen. We perched on a low wall opposite the man, happy to just take in the moment with each other until I felt thin fingers sneak in between mine and Mitch pulled me to my feet.

"Will you dance with me, Scott?"

I wasn't much of a dancer but I wasn't about to say no to those eyes. I gently placed my hand on his tiny waist as his rested on my shoulder. Our dancing wasn't much more than a sway but when a head covered in long brown bangs found its way to my chest, I didn't care what we doing, just happy to have this wonderful boy so close to me. We danced under the night sky until the man's fingers ached and he could play no more. Mitch handed him $20 and wished him well. I rode in the cab with Mitch back to his apartment where he pecked my lips with a whispered goodnight.

*

I fell head over heels for Mitch almost instantly.

It didn't take long for me to work out the feeling that that little brunette with the face of an angel and heart of gold had stirred up inside of me was love. We hadn't been seeing each other long but I couldn't deny that he was the one and would be the only one for the rest of my life. Maybe it was rushed and maybe it was absurd but I knew that him just being near me made my heart flutter and stutter all at once. He had my heart in his hands and I trusted him completely with it.

That's why when we woke up after our first night together, naked bodies so tangled together I wasn't sure where I ended and he began, I told him exactly how I felt. It was only a month and half since our first date so I wasn't expecting anything in return. Just because I was a hopeless romantic didn't mean he was quite there with me yet and that was okay. I would wait for him. I would wait for him to give me his heart but I didn't have to. As soon as my love declaration fell onto shocked ears, the same words were falling from his own kiss bruised lips. Those three words I had never expected to hear so soon were out in the world for me to nurture and cherish.

It surprised me when he slid out from under the covers to stand unabashedly in all of his naked glory, the sun filtering through the thin curtains highlighting every curve of his slender body.  He held his hand out with a delicate smile.

"Will you dance with me, love?"

Nothing had changed since the first date except his eyes seemed to shine brighter, and maybe that was just the love I felt for him but there was no chance I was going to say no.  I hesitantly moved to join him at his side of the bed and blushed at my nakedness but he didn't care.  He grabbed my hands to rest them on his own hips before sliding his hands up my bare chest and linking at the back of my neck.  There was no music playing but we basked in the noises of nature; the birds chirping and the gentle breeze blowing just outside my window.