Christmas Party

I loved parties. What did I love more than parties? Christmas parties. I loved all the decorations and the twinkling fairy lights and the Santa cupcakes and the ugly sweaters. I loved literally everything about the Christmas season. After all, it was the most wonderful time of the year.

As I got older though, fewer and fewer of my friends felt so much joy about Christmas therefore there were less and less Christmas parties to attend. I used to have a list as long as my noodly arm of events I was invited to but this year, none, zilch, nada. I decided to take matters into my own hands, because it wasn't Christmas without one over the top, cheesy party, and throw the most extravagant Christmas bash possible. Maybe not extravagant, but there would be champagne and a selection of finger foods so it would have to do.

Once I hung the final garland and sprayed the last of the fake snow on the tiny window at the top of the front door, everything was ready. Guests started to arrive, right on time because we're old now and that's what old people do, show up on time and leave early. I had been expecting 30 guests at most but the doorbell didn't seem to stop ringing the entire night. There was easily 60+ guests that I could see just from my spot in the kitchen. The more the merrier I supposed.

I was scanning the crowd, watching everyone drink and dance and laugh, pleased to know that people were seemingly having a jolly time. My attention was automatically drawn to two guys I didn't recognise, though that wasn't surprising considering more than half of my home was overrun by people I didn't know. There was a petite brunette trapped in the corner, surrounded by a much bigger, darker haired guy. From what I could tell, they were either having a lovers wastrel or the smaller of the two was getting some very unwanted attention. It was none of my business though so I went about making myself a drink, leaving them to deal with their own problems.

Tyler, one of my friends from work, appeared next to me just as I filled my cup and we spent the next 30 minutes doing shots - mostly him because I still wanted to be somewhat coherent with a crowd of strangers running about my house - and laughing at absolutely nothing. This was perhaps my favourite part of Christmas parties, everyone just seemed happy like the festive season was infecting their entire bloodstream with sparkles and Christmas magic.

"And I said to him... 'nuh uh, honey, not today'," Tyler got out between bouts of laughter. If I was being honest, I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about. Last I checked, we were discussing the lack of pandas walking freely around LA but if that conversation was anything to go by, Tyler wasn't exactly in the most cohesive state right now.

"You didn't!" I exclaimed with a hand over my mouth, playing along.

"I did, he didn't even get me a toothbrush, ya know?" he slurred.

"Disgraceful."

"I know!!! Ugh, I love you, Scotty... Scooter... Skeet..."

Tyler wrapped his arms around my neck, placing slobbery kisses all over my cheek. I laughed and tried my best to keep him upright which was a lot harder than I would have thought considering he was literally half my size. His boyfriend was going to have a fun time trying to get this disaster home later.

"Oh, sorry..."

I looked up to find the brunette from earlier lingering awkwardly in the doorway, trying to look anywhere but at me and the drunken mess I was gripping onto.

"I didn't mean to intrude, I was just getting..." he trailed off, raising his glass as he finally met my eyes.

"Oh, you're not intruding. Tyler's just had one too many but I think it's about time Harrison took you home, isn't it?" I shifted my focus from the brunette to Tyler who was still kissing (if you could even call it that) my entire face.