45- Bed Bugs And Beyond

Start from the beginning

"Sorry it took so long to give it back. I kinda forgot about it." She rubs the back of her neck and smiles.

I shake my head. "No, it is perfect." I snake my arms around her neck and pull her head towards mine, resting our foreheads together. "Thank you."

THROUGHOUT THE DAY I keep feeling like something is crawling over my skin all over. At first I had shaken it off as a loose hair or something, but when I felt a painless yet noticeable pinch against the back of my shoulder, I dropped the screwdriver I had been holding and slapped my hand against it.

I assessed my hand only to find nothing there. Not even a smudge.

Great. Not only do I see dead people when I'm upset but now I'm also feeling imaginary bugs all over my body. As if my brain couldn't hate me any more.

"There you are! I've been looking all over for you." Morello strolled through the laundry room balancing a stack of magazines in her arms.

"Yep, here I am, working, something you should be doing too." I told her as I guided my eyes back to the old alarm system I had been ordered to try and fix. I thought the laundry room was the best place to do it since there weren't a lot of inmates around but there was plenty of bench space.

"No places to drive today, I get the day off." Morello drops the magazines onto the steel bench and they go sprawling all over. I place my hand on one and drag it towards me, noticing the glamorous picture of a model wearing something that is easily recognized as a wedding dress. I swallow the sudden sick feeling and try to hide it off my face.

"Morello, I don't think-"

"Sh, I've got it all planned out." She places her hand on my arm and squeezes, looking at me with wide eyes.

"But we can't-"

"Now I really like this one but I think that because you're petite it will look like you're practically drowning in all that poof," she pulls out a torn piece of paper that was sticking out the top from between the pages, "so I drew this up based on the dress on page 10, don't mind the model, you don't actually look like that."

I laughed at the way she drew the face with oversized eyes and lips. "And that scribble is supposed to be lace." She says, pointing to the arms.

"Unless you hate lace. Then we can do silk instead, although I'm telling ya lace is very in right now."

I'm lost for words. She really planned this through and I can't do nothing about it.

"Thank you so much, I like the lace too." I say and I watch her smile light up even more. I smile sympathetically. "But, we're not having a wedding."

Morello's smile falters and her eyes grow wide. "What?! Why not?!" She screeches, making me wince.

"Uh, look around... How are we suppose to throw a wedding in here when we can barely throw a birthday party?"

"It's not all about the party, it's about celebrating the fact that Nicky is engaged! Nicky! Out of all people!"

I don't reply because I know I'll end up spilling the truth and that will break her heart just as much as it would break Millie's.