39. Before it Breaks

Start from the beginning

He would come.

And he'd be here soon enough.

Remus sighed, clearly not liking the idea of leaving me to my own devices "Are you sure you'll be allright? I hate leaving you in such a state...."

"I'm basically at his front door" I tried to reassure him "And I'm feeling much better, see? You weren't feeling all that well either right after the memory transfer. It's effects are temporary, as you have experienced yourself..."

"You absolutely certain about that?" Remus asked again "Because I can stay If you need me..."

"I'll be fine. I'll just have Henry do a quick examination to make sure everything's alright with me and the baby, and then I'll be off" I said decisively "I'll see you at he Headquarters later, all right?

After a few seconds of hesitation Remus nodded, and giving me one last worried look he shook his head, turning around and apparating. 

Leaving me standing alone on the sidewalk.

"Thank Merlin!" I muttered to myself, my hand rubbing my stomach through my robes in comforting circles, hoping that the pain would subside.

It didn't.

Taking another shaky breath I made my way to the front door, ringing the doorbell as I leaned against the side of the doorway, hoping my shaky legs would support me for a little while longer. Now that I no longer had to pretend I wasn't falling apart, panic was threathening to overwhelm me. Not once in my 212 years had I felt so scared. I'd been in life-threathening situations before, but this was no longer just me we were talking about. I had a baby to think of. An unborn child was in the middle of all this, and I would be damned if I was going to let anything happen to him. 

Or her. 

Was it going to be a boy or a girl? The thought was fleeting, and I realized that all I wanted was for my baby to be all right. 

Another wave of mind-numbing pain overwhelmed me just as Henry opened the door, and a pained gasp escaped me as I closed my eyes tightly, bracing against the pain.

"....Aurora?" Henry asked, concern lacing his voice as he looked at me in surprise "What's going on?"

"Something's not right" I managed to grit between clenched teeth, eyes raising to meet Henry's as he stepped aside, hand coming to rest on my shoulder in reassurance and support.

"What happened?" he asked, obviously worried as he took a hold of my elbow and my hand to guide me along.

"I-ehhhh-Arghhh!" I started, only to interrupt myself as a painful spasm caused me to shake on my feet "I might have performed a memory transfer"

"Might have?" Henry asked as he took me to the library, opening the secret passage to his laboratory "And what the hell is a memory transfer?!"

"Old magic. I-I thought I could handle it. A friend of mine....passed away. I owed it to him to preserve his legacy. But the spell-it's ancient. Very demanding. A bit dangerous"

"A bit dangerous? Seriously?" Henry said, shaking his head "Dammit Aurora, what have you gotten yourself into now?!"

But then he was leading me inside his lab, heading over to the bed he'd gotten down there a few weeks back. 

"Spare me the lecture, Henry, please" I said between gritted teeth, one hand rubbing my stomach in comforting circles, as if that was going to make the excruciating pain disappear.

Henry examined me, but I was hardly aware of it as the pain in my lower abdomen intensified. He was muttering to himself, soft, gentle fingers pushing my hands aside and pressing against the distended skin of my stomach, searching for Merlin knew what.