Chapter 19:

I had just finished blowdrying and straightening my hair when I heard a knock at my door.

" Come in! " I called as I ran my fingers through my hair before getting up from my desk and moving to sit on my bed just as both my parents entered the room.

" Nervous sweetheart? " Dad asked as he continued standing, while mom sat down beside me.

I rolled my eyes slightly. " Do you even need to ask? "

Dad chuckled. " I guess not... "

I sighed. " ...Look...mom...dad...I'm really sorry for the way I acted...I- "

" Oh Honey, it's we who should be apologizing to you... " Mom cut me off.

I paused. " ...What? Why? "

Dad sat on the other side of me. " We didn't realize how close you and Tino had gotten "

I still squirmed when anyone called Big Stride by his real name.

Mom put an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into a hug. " Whatever happens tomorrow honey, we just want you to know how proud we are of you. You are really maturing into a smart young woman. We're going to miss you all summer " she started to tear up.

I took her hand gently. " It only summer mom, I'll be back for the school year and I promise I'll be on my best behaviour " I didn't bring up my plans to not go to Kinswood if Big Stride was sold to Tracy.

Dad pulled me and mom into a big bear hug. " We know you will sweetheart. And because we're so positive you'll get Tino...we decided to buy you a little...going away present... "

I raised a brow. What more could they give me? They let me ride Big Stride, they've bankrolled my whole Dressage career and they're paying for Kinswood.

Dad smiled and stood, leaving the room before returning, pushing a huge box into the room with him.

" We thought, since you've been so careful with your tack, that we would get you these... " Mom whispered to me.

I quickly kneeled in front of the box and ripped open the top. inside was various pieces of gleaming tack carefully wrapped in bubblewrap. 

A black Passier Sirius saddle with a  matching Contoured Dressage girth and  Herm Sprenger System 4-F Stirrups with offset eye and black Stubben stirrup leathers.

A Carl Hester brand Rolled Weymouth double bridle for showing and a Vespucci Voyager Raised Dressage Bridle for training.

Two new dark brown halters, one for everyday and one for shipping

Two new saddle pads, one white for shows and one navy with white stitching and a white half pad for both showing and training.

EquiFit T-Sport Polo Wraps in white with black trim and white shipping boots

A fly sheet with a matching mask

And finally, a navy ear bonnet with black trimming. 

I covered my mouth in awe, my eyes welling with tears. I looked at my dad then my mom.

" ...You...you didn't have to buy all this... " I got up and hugged them.

" Consider this our apology. Everything is fitting specifically for Tino, thats how sure we are that he will be yours after tomorrow... "

I started to sob. " Thank you, both so much! "

They laughed lightly.

" We love you Isla, and we know you'll do great things... " Dad spoke.

" You have never given us any excuse not to trust you going to Kinswood on your own " Mom added.

We stayed like that, held in each others entrance, like I was 5 again and I had just sprained my ankle after falling off a horse. All the things we had said to each other faded away.

After a few minutes, I was calmed down enough for them to pull away, getting up and heading to the door, turning off my light. 

" Get some rest honey, you have a big day tomorrow " Mom spoke softly. ' And we'll be wishing you all the luck in the world "

" Not that you'll need any luck! " Dad added with a chuckled before he took moms hand and closed my door behind them.

I laid in bed for a long time, too excited and nervous to sleep. I got up and quietly tiptoed over to the box, using my phone flashlight for light.

I smiled at the contents inside, then look around at my mostly bare room. 

Tomorrow would decide not only my fate, but the fate of my new best friend.

And I was ready!