Chapter 11:

" You can't have him! " I snapped before Dubois could even open her mouth to reply to Mr. Valentina's offer. " He's not for sale! "

Tracy folded her arms over her chest. " Last time I checked you didn't even want him! " she retorted.

I felt my face go scarlet and I felt like leaning forward to cover Big Strides ears. I glared at her. " I changed my mind. Besides, I thought you said he was 'just a nag?' "

Tracy rolled her eyes and scoffed. " That was before I saw what he could do, imagine what we could do together, what he could do with a real rider- "

" Enough! "

I snapped my mouth closed and looked down at Dubois, who looked between Tracy and I with little patience.

" Everyone cool their horses while I have a talk with Mr. Valentina...in my office... "

I turned Big Stride away from Tracy before she had a chance to kick Prince over to us.

Once Dubois and Mr. Valentina had disappeared, along with the crowd that had surrounded the arena, Tracy angled Prince beside Big Stride and I, keeping him in a trot just to keep up with Big Strides walk.

" You don't stand a chance. He's going to be mine! " She sneered.

I tightened my grip on the reins. Big Strides ears flattened against his head as Tracy pushed Prince closer and closer to us.

" You're wrong... " I tried to sound more confident than I felt. " Big Stride came into my care at my parents barn while his owners are being tracked down. Once they're found, he'll be surrendered to us... "

" Then he'll be up for sale " Tracy laughed. " Don't kid yourself Isla. That thing needs a real rider to control him. You got lucky with your ride today, but that kind of performance can't happen everyday...especially at Kinswood... "

My throat tightened.

Tracy smirked, knowing she had gotten inside my head, she trotted Prince out of the arena with her head held high.

I bit my lip as I halted Big Stride. He craned his neck and lipped at the toe of my left boot. I smiled sadly and patted his firm neck. " I won't let you go that easily boy... "

And I wouldn't. Tracy would destroy his personality, one I had grown to love over the past few weeks.

I wouldn't let that happen....

..................................................................................................

I had just finished picking out Big Strides hooves when Dubois appeared at the stall door.

" Well... " She started.

I bit my lip as I stood in front of Big Stride protectively, even though he towered over me.

" She can't take him! She'll work him to death! "

" Calm down Isla...she's not taking him... "

I let out the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. Big Stride nudged my back before returning to eating his hay.

" Mr. Valentina offered a lot of money for him...but I just told him the truth. Its not up to any of us. As soon as the owners are found, they will decide who to sell him to... "

" But they'll obviously sell to Tracy because she'll offer more! It's not fair! " I didn't care if I sounded like a child, I did not want Big Stride to be sold to Tracy. She would ruin him.

" Control yourself Isla. Ultimately it is not up to us, it is up to the owners...I'm sorry... "

I stormed out of the stall before she could stop me.

" Isla! " 

I cursed my instinct of stopping whenever Dubois yelled like that. I slowly turned.

Dubois stepped forward, putting a hand on my shoulder. " ...Tracy has world class grooms with her on the show circuit...they will take good care of him- "

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She was talking to me as if the deal had already been closed.

I pushed her hand off my shoulder. " I can't believe you're trying to take a positive spin on this! Tracy will ride him to death! "

I turned and ran out of the barn and to the car, leaving my tack and grooming supplies still in front of Big Strides stall.