Chapter 17: Locker Incident

To my relief, onee-chan let go of me and headed towards the front, where the principal was standing without saying a word. 

"Ehrmm, this would be your new homeroom teacher. Please treat her well." The principal said as he hurriedly got out of the classroom.

"Now, before we start, let's go check your attendance." Yuki cheerfully said. "But I think that it would just be a waste of time since most of you are already here.Just tell me who sits on that empty desk over there."

Mitsumi raised her hand and said. "She's Kirihara Yume, ma'am!" 

"Oh, okay. Wait, that's funny, this is the first time that she was absent. Has anyone received any excuse letters from her, or something that could be relayed to the teacher?" Yuki asked.

"She was here in the morning ma'am! I saw her get her shoes from the locker room. She probably went somewhere." One of our classmates answered.

"Well, I guess we'll mark her absent for today. Okay everyone, let's start our class!" Yuki told everyone as she grabbed the textbook from under the teacher's desk.

However, no one seemed to bother listening. Everyone has been giving me a cold and dark stare ever since she hugged me in front of everyone like that. That was her normal greeting when we were kids, but now that we're in high school, and she's our new homeroom teacher, how could I even get used to that?! I told myself as I opened my textbook and buried my face in it.

Not only the guys were giving me the stares, but it seems like, the girls were also giving me one. All except Mitsumi, who was giving glaring her eyes at our new homeroom teacher.

"What was that all about, Hikari? Is she really your older sister?" Mitsumi asked as she put her seat closer to mine. 

"Um, not really. I just call her that since she's older than me. She's a childhood friend and our neighbor before." I responded. "Don't misunderstand the hug though, that was just her usual way of greeting me." I told her, hoping that she'll calm herself down.

"In that case, let me greet you like that, too!" Mitsumi said as she clenched her fists. 

Huwhaat??! What are you talking about, Mitsumi?! 

Eh?!

No, no! There's no way!

As if I could tell her that. I said to myself. She's the only friend I got her in school and I don't intend to lose my only friend by saying no. Looks like I've got no choice then.

What mess did I get into?!

"S-s-sure, if y-y-you want, it's fi-fine." I responded.

And just like that, her expression changed. Now that I think about it, she actually looked happy than ever before.

Girls. I just can't understand what they're thinking.

.....

Phew!

Finally, lunch break came!

Time seemed to be slower than usual today. I didn't get anything from the entire morning class since everyone kept on glaring at me; not to mention that Yuki, our new homeroom teacher, kept on waving at me everytime my gaze landed on her. And to top it all off, Mitsumi became rather more clingy than usual as well. (I think she hugged me for almost the entire morning class. And she doesn't even listen to me everytime I  tell her to stop!)

What's with everyone today? Phew, good thing my dad wasn't here, or he'll add to everything that has happened already. I told myself as I tried to look on the positive way of things.