Chapter 10: You Have Me, Hikari

I looked around, hoping that someone heard it as well. To my dismay, no one did. Our homeroom teacher has already entered the room. Classes started, but I couldn't pay attention at all. Not a minute passed since I've heard the shout. I knew that I haven't had my proper training, but I couldn't just ignore a cry for help. The shadow manipulator gave me enhanced hearing and now that I heard something unexpected, I began doubting how I should react.

Once again, I looked around. I already have a rough idea of what I should do. I sighed in relief, no one's looking in my direction.

I quickly focused on my shadow. Come on, please just work! I need to become a shadow right now. Work just like you did in the room, come on. Work! Somebody needs help! Please! I said in my mind as I looked at my shadow.

Thinking that it wasn't working, I began closing my eyes to focus more. I told myself that I just needed to become a shadow.

Suddenly, I began feeling lighter, as if something was stuck in my back. Then I realized that I already became a shadow myself. I looked around, seeing all the heads of the people in the classroom. I now knew where I was.

On the ceiling.

I began gliding towards the window, then to the outer wall of the school. From a bystander's point of view, I would've looked like a shadow that reflects differently in relation to the sun, or I might say, a reflection of something that wasn't even there.

I began creeping across the school grounds. It was my first time traveling this fast and yet, not a gust of wind has brushed against me. It felt weird at first, but a shadow doesn't feel anything.

Do they?

I glided towards the source of the cry for help. It seems to be emanating from the love bridge. The cry sounded so faint, but I could clearly hear it even in my shadow form. Buildings whizzed past me as I made my way to the love bridge.

Then I saw it.

A group of thieves trying to steal from someone.

Without a second thought, I quickly went towards the thieves and trip them all up. All of them fell flat on their faces in a state of shock. They didn't know what hit them but I think they noticed me as a shadow. Not only them, but I think the woman who got her purse stolen, noticed me as well as I glided. The woman stopped screaming the moment she saw the thieves fell. I quickly changed my form and "knocked" the four thieves unconscious by using the technique I saw on the television a long time ago. I had doubts if it was going to work but to my great relief, I managed to pull it off. ( The technique I saw was the sleeper's hold. I've watched it in one of those mystery movies where the protagonist used to do it a lot to his opponents.)

I sighed in relief. This was the first time that I cut classes and I felt rather guilty. I quickly went towards the unconscious thieves and retrieved the purse that they had stolen. I went to the woman and handed it to her. She looks rather familiar as if I've seen her before. But who is she? I asked myself.

"Thanks." The woman said as she got her bag. " So, you're an irregular, right?" She asked.

Now that I think about it, I didn't realize that I changed my form just to knock the thieves down. Now that I am not a shadow, the woman had seen my face. Oh no, what do I do? This is not good. My secret might get found out by everyone! Aagghh! I said to myself.

"Could you please not tell anyone about what happened here? Please?" I asked the woman. "I haven't told anyone yet and I cannot blow up my cover right now."

"Sure, I cannot disagree, can I? After all, you were the one who saved me from those thieves." She cheerfully said. " Don't worry, you're not the only irregular I know. Keeping this a secret is the least I can do."