Chapter 12: déjà vu

A cold chilly breeze began making its way towards the street that was barely lighted by the streetlights. The houses on its sides were all covered in brick walls that served as fences. From a third-person point of view, the street looked like any other normal streets.

Except for one thing.

One house looked especially conspicuous amidst all the surroundings. Instead of being covered by brick-walls, it has a western looking gate in front of it. You could see a bright red car parked in its garage. Even the house itself looked especially classy as if it was dug up from the West and transported to this street with the Eastern Asia architectures.

And there I was, standing in front of the door, looking at Mitsumi's mom for the first time.

Who said it was the first time?!

"Y-y-y-you..." She stuttered as her gaze landed on my face.

Not the first time! Definitely not the first time! The way she reacted after seeing me tells me that fact! I said to myself as I tried to remember who she was.

Seriously?! Am I really that bad in leaving first impressions?!

At that moment, I finally realize who she was. Her hair, her looks. It kind of resembles like Mitsumi. She is obviously Mitsumi's mom. But the reason she reacted after seeing me, I finally came to realize why.

She was the same woman I met under the bridge when I cut classes, er I mean, when I heard her cry for help! No wonder she looks very familiar the first time I met her. I mean, she looks like an older version of Mitsumi.

Wai-wait?! what am I thinking. I immediately erased the thought from my head.

deja vu.

That word began invading my mind after seeing Mitsumi's mom. Wait? Now that I come to think of it, I also met Mitsumi for the first time under that love bridge with the same thieves that tried to rob her mom. This is deja vu.

"Hello, ma'am! I am Kurayami Hikari, Mitsumi's classmate. Pleased to make your acquaintance." I simply said while bowing my head.

I had decided not to bring up what had happened this morning under the love bridge since I would get in a rather awkward situation. It might even sound as if I was bragging about my power if I did that. So, after putting those thoughts out of my mind, I decided to properly introduce myself to her mom, thinking that that's the best thing I could do now that Mitsumi's watching.

And I think her mom wouldn't want to bring that up, being saved by a teenager who happened to knock out three thieves.

Talk about leaving a good first impression. I sighed in disappointment.

"T-t-t-thank you for saving me awhile ago. I wouldn't have been here if it's not for you, Hikari!" Her mom suddenly said while making a bow lower than mine.

Eh?!

Eh??!

Eh?!!

What did she just say?! I was trying not to bring that subject up! I said to myself. Well, there's no time worrying over spilled milk, I guess I should just admit it and carry on.

But the atmosphere is getting pretty awkward.

At least I left a first good impression.

Did I? Or was it the opposite? Argh! I don't know anymore!!!

After regaining my composure, I responded while nervously scratching the back of my head. "I-i-it's fine..."