17: Captives

Her body was torn from the soldiers' grip and the torrent sent her spinning. Stars flashed in front of her eyes. Her lungs ached, her body screamed, the water roared in her ears. She couldn't see, didn't know which way was up and which was down.

She felt her bones pop as the water slammed her against a solid wall.

Then a hand grabbed hers, tugging her into a sphere of air.

Delilah's shins barked as she hit the ground, water streaming from her. She choked and dragged in great, gulping breaths.

Dante pulled her back up, the Water Opal glowing in his hand as he shielded them from his own onslaught with an invisible barrier. "Come on."

They ran for the door, leaving the water-filled room behind, and raced back up the spiral steps.

Delilah was still gasping for air. Her heavy parka was drenched, stuck to her body, and she felt like a drowned rat. They took the steps in twos and threes, not daring to pause and regain their strength.

They reached one of the high corridors - and halted when they came face to face with what looked like a Pelenan army.

Dante lifted both Opals. One shone blue, the other red, in his hands. A wave of water burst from him, followed by a flash of fire, and soldiers were sent reeling or scattering as they dived out of the way. The roar of the combined elements made her shudder. The power was overwhelming.

A soldier managed to get past the attacks. With no weapons within easy reach, Delilah found herself blocking him with her bare hands. Even so, she managed to disarm him of the sword and ram her knuckles into his face.

"Give me an Opal, you bastard!" she screamed at Dante, who looked gloriously terrifying beside her, silhouetted by the Opals' light.

He tossed Water to her and she caught it in both hands. As soon as it connected with her palms, Delilah felt waves surge beneath her skin. A cool blanket of reassuring power settled over her.

Grinning, she waved a hand and the water shoved down throats, drowning, drenching men. A section of the wall further down the corridor exploded, bricks flying, and water from outside poured in.

"Nice," Dante panted, his shoulder pressing hers.

"You're welcome."

They were winning - no one had even touched them yet.

But then the wraiths began to emerge, slinking out of the walls themselves, coming to life from the shadows the Fire Opal's light had created.

"Delilah, traitor, betrayer of your people..."

"No," she choked.

Beside her, Dante's fire flickered. For the first time, he looked uncertain.

She caught another voice, on the edge of hearing. "You murdered your own sister. You kill your own people. Monster."

Dante's breath was sawing in his throat. He took an unsteady step backwards.

A boot slammed into Delilah's back, sending her sprawling across the floor. The Opal flew from her hands and skittered across stone. No. Spitting fury, she tried to crawl to it, but soldiers - the ones from the Opal's chamber - grabbed her arms once again.

Dante had lost the Fire Opal. Where was it? She couldn't see it. Soldiers surrounded him, too, and four grabbed him.

"King Dante," the captain sneered, walking up to him as if he'd forgotten about Delilah. "Night Bringer. You know, you killed my father and brothers in the war."