one

i stepped out of the taxi, staring at the house that i grew up in. i didn't feel as if i belonged here anymore.

the front door opened, and my parents rushed over to me.
"aurora!" my mom cried out, hugging me. i hugged her back tightly.

"hi mom." i whispered, not wanting to let go. unfortunately, my mother let go of me.
"aurora, do you want me to get your bags?" my dad asked, and i turned to him.
"if you wouldn't mind. thanks, dad." i said.

"we can put everything in your old room. i think i heard the fitzgeralds talking about jake having a get together with some of will's friends." my mom said.
"oh, okay." i nodded, and i began to think of the way from our house to the house of jake fitzgerald, will's best friend.

my parents went into the house, and i watched as the taxi drove off. i began to walk down the sidewalk, making left turns and right turns.

i looked down at my phone, and started to call penelope. she answered after four rings.
"hey, aurora." she said.
"is it strange that i lived in lakewood for most of my life yet i feel like such an outsider?" i asked, seeing jake's house in the distance.

"no. you've been gone for a year and a half, aurora. things change, people change." she said.
"are you talking about a specific person now, pen?" i asked.

"i'm just saying...don't get caught up with the same people that caused you to run away." penelope said. i sighed, knowing that she was right.

i stopped at the edge of the fitzgeralds' driveway.
"thanks for the advice, penelope. i've got to go. i'll call you later, okay?" i responded.
"okay!" she said as i ended the call.

i walked up the driveway and onto the front steps. i knocked on the front door and waited for someone to answer.

the front door opened and i looked up, seeing my brother's best friend.
"rory?" jake asked with a look of disbelief on his face.

he pulled me into a tight hug and i hugged him back.
"i'm so sorry about will, it must suck to lose a brother like that." he said as he released me from the embrace.

"well, i bet you feel bad too. he was your best friend." i said, frowning.
"yeah, i don't think i'll ever get another friend like will. you should come in, we're having a friendly get together." jake said, moving so that i could come into the house.

"who's 'we'?" i asked as he led me to his backyard patio.
"brooke, emma, a couple of other friends." jake said.
he slid the door to the patio open, and i stepped out onto it.

it wasn't until i looked up at the people that i truly felt out of place.