Chapter Ten

[NOT EDITED]

“I wish you could come with me... I don't think I can do this alone...” Dylan looked down at the floor with a sad expression plastered on his face.

I felt bad for not being able to go with him, and so did Hunter. What whatever we were doing, it was all just for his safety. We didn't want him getting hurt. Over the years Dylan has so much more meaning than what he had when we just started talking. He was my daughter's godfather!

“Dylan,” I cupped his cheek, “I'm so sorry, but you won't be alone. Zachariah is going to be there with you and I'm sure you're safe with him,”

“Yes,” he held my hand, “But I'm not used to living without you guys...”

“Dylan,” Hunter's heavy voice rang through our ears, “Stop being a baby.”

“Come with me...” Dylan's said in a low, cracking voice.

“I can't, you asshole. I have work,” Hunter's jaw clenched.

“Stop lying, Hunter,” Dylan's voice raised. “Don't even think about lying to me. I know what's going on! I know everything!” his voice cracked, “And if you think that I'm going to leave without trying to help you guys, then you're making a huge mistake!”

I felt as if my heart was going to burst in ribcage, “Dylan, what are you talking about?” I tried acting as if I didn't know anything.

He looked at me, his eyes starting to get red, “You better fucking shut your trap, Zoe,” he said through gritted teeth before stalking towards Hunter. I gasped and my eyes grew wide when Dylan roughly grabbed Hunter by his collar.

I've never seen him like this...

“What the fuck are you doing?!” Hunter shouted at him and tried getting Dylan's hand off him.

“I've spent fucking six years with you guys, do you not think that I already know how you guys are? Do you think I'm stupid, Hunter?” he shouted and pushed Hunter.

Hunter nearly lost balance, since the floor was slippery, but he managed to stay on his feet. His calm expression got replaced by anger and he raised his hand to hit Dylan, but stopped when I yelled out their names.

“Stop!” I screeched, “Just fucking stop!” I walked up to Dylan, “Dylan, we're only doing this for your safety, why don't you just understand?”

“Oh, I understand damn well, Zoe, but why don't you understand that I'm doing this for you guys? He can't get us in London!” he did his best to hold back the tears, but none of it worked.

“Dylan... You have your own problems to deal with... I can't involve you in this, please try to understand...” I sobbed.

“Tony will be coming after you first and we don't want you hurt, Dylan,” Hunter said in a low voice.

“But you guys are my family...” he cried, “I can't leave you guys behind... I want to stick with you guys. You were there for me when nobody else was,”

“We'll always be there for you, Dylan, but right now Tahira needs yo—”

“Tahira needs us goddammit!” he cut me off. “She needs us!”

“Dylan,” Hunter patted his shoulder, “Tony is our problem, buddy. We can't risk your life. Save Tahira and we'll take care of Tony.”

“What will you guys be able to do? You don't know anything about him! He could appear with a hundred men for all you know! You two are alone here and still risking your lives, why?” Dylan's shoulders sagged.

“If we die, we die, but at least you'll be safe,” Hunter smiled at him, “And that's mostly all we care about aside from Blaze.”

---

I sat on the bed, hugging the pillow as I thought about every word Dylan uttered earlier today. We did manage to convince him to leave and he did, but his words were still stuck in my head and were basically doing the tango ever since he left. He wasn't wrong about anything he said. Every single word was true and neither I, nor Hunter, could disagree.

I guess the truth was that I was tired of running away from Tony. I think it's time to finally face him and actually be brave about it. I did it one time and I could do it again, but Dylan was right. We didn't know anything about Tony's plans. He could do so much and I had not the slightest idea of what his psychopathic mind was planning.

I had the perfect life, but it seemed as if the shadows of the past were never going to let me live in peace. Tony was never going to let me live in peace. I ruined his life, and now he was going to ruin mine once again.

Until the day of today, I wonder why Tony even turned into something this terrifying. What made him go crazy? What kind of emotions did he even go through to hate life this much? To hate me this much?

I breathed out heavily and looked up at the ceiling, then at Hunter who was sleeping, and then back at the ceiling. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get myself to fall asleep. I kept thinking Dylan's words.

Was it really wise to stay here instead of joining Dylan in London?

We were scared that Tony would end up in London too. Alyssa was keeping tabs on us; that convinced me that if I left for London, Tony would surely get the news. What I didn't understand in all this, was how Alyssa survived the car crash.

What really happened?

Did she really attempt to commit suicide, or did she fake her death? I chewed on my bottom lip, wondering why she would even fake her death. What could even make her fake her death?

This entire situation was so confusing, I felt my head hurting. I closed my eyes, trying to get some sleep for tonight, but I nearly groaned out in frustration when I just couldn't feel myself falling into sleep.

All these questions roaming in my head were stressing me and now I really started to believe that maybe, just maybe, we should have listened to Dylan.