Ch 5 The confession and the plan

"We're going to have to take your brother down to the station for questioning and you three as well," the sheriff told Hope, Joy, and Lily.

              Later that day at the station

Hope, JOy, and Lily waited patiently behind the glass listening to what happened at Mr. Sam's.

"Mr. Gilbert, why exactly were you at MR. Sam's house? Dont you know how dangerous that man is?" Sheriff Larson asked Austin.

"Yes, Sir, I do. HE was helping me with a research project I'm doing. I'm trying to learn more about my family. I was asking friends of the family first," Austin answered.

"And what exactly did you think Mr. Sam could tell you?" Sheriff Larson asked.

"Well, before Mr. Sam's first arrest 15 years ago, Mr.Sam, my parents, Lily's parents, Sean's parents and Mr. Sam's ex-wife were all good friends. Sean told me I should ask Mr. Sam if he could tell me anything about their friendship or about my family. So i went and asked him, then it started raining really hard when I was about to leave, so he said I could stay and he'd be able to tel me more," Austin explained.

"Did you find out any information about your family? How come you didnt call your sisters and let them know where you were? Sheriff asked.

"I left Hope a note, but I guess she never got it. I didnt call because I couldnt believe what he told me..." Austin paused and looked at the floor.

Austin continued telling the sheriff what Mr. Sam told him, then looked at the mirror with tears filling his eyes knowing his sisters were behind the glass.

Hope and Joy looked at each other with tears running down their cheeks. Their feelings the day before had been right, but how would they explain this to Jason, or Sean, or LUke? How could they understand it themselves? The three girls hugged and waited for Austin to come out of the interrogation room.

When Austin finally came out, they ran and huggeed him.

"i'm sorry. Hope, JOy, I'm sorry I didnt call and tell you. I didnt know how to explain or how you would feel," Austin said hugging them.

"Its ok. We're just glad youre okay," JOy whispered.

The four of them just stood and hugged for a long time before someone spoke.

"How are we going to bring this up to mom and dad?" Hope wondered.

"Well, when they ask where we've been, we can tell them everything that happened. Austin can explain like he did to the sheriff. Maybe they can explain all this. Why would they not tell us this?" Joy answered her sister.

Austin and Lily agreed and they all walked to Lily's car to go back home and wait for Hope, JOy, and Austin's parents to get home.

Three hours later, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert got home and found Austin, Hope, Lily, and JOy waiting for them. They could sesne something was up.

"What's going on guys?" Mrs. Gilbert asked.

"Mom. Dad. We need toi talk. PLease sit down," JOy firmly said.

"Ok. What's going on?" Jim said having a seat.

Joy, Lily and Hope looked at Austin, waiting for him to answer.

"Well, Mom, Dand, last night i ended up spending the night at Mr. Sam's house," he started, "Now, before you get mad, let me finish. I was doing some of my own research and found out that you two, and mr. Sam used to be friends. So, looking for information, I went over there. When I got there, I asked if he had any family secrets he could tell me and he told me something from 15 years ago. He said that before your baby shower for Hope and Joy, you told him, Sean's parents, Lily's parents and Mr. Sam's ex-wife, you were having triplets. We want to know what happened to the third baby and why this made Mr. Sam go crazy, causing him to get arrested," Austin explained.