When You're Omnipotent, It's Hard To Focus

Chapter 72 - When You're Omnipotent, It's Hard To Focus

"Zen. Zen." Jessie's lips twist into a frown at seeing that her hails aren't enough to pull their leader from her thousand-yard stare, so she stalks over and begins to reach up to the tantalizingly-soft ears at the top of the woman's head.

"If... you even think-"

"Finally. Gods." The curvy mage drops her arms back down to her sides and offers the cute feline a shake of her head. "What's wrong with you today?"

"Nothin'."

"Uh-huh. You skipped breakfast. Then, after giving a half-hearted speech to this group, you just stand in this spot and staring at the wall."

"So? I was thinking."

"For two hours?"

Zen innocently blinks twice, then rotates her head towards the left, where precisely twenty-one sweaty teenage girls were flopped on the ground, collectively catching their breath. "Oh."

"Oh? Seriously? That's all you're gonna say?"

"Stuff it."

"Zen!"

"Whut. I told you, I was thinking."

"About what?"

"Things." The small Cat-woman offers a little shrug before defensively folding her arms across her chest. "You know how it is, right? You make a huge discovery with your magicks, then you've got to wrestle with your inner morality."

Jessie sends a blank stare towards her leader, then expertly averts her gaze. "That's right. Every time."

"As it should be. It's a heavy thing, after all."

"Totally."

"Magic is just... terrifying in scope, innit?"

"I tell myself that every day."

Zen offers an absent nod at hearing one sage agreement after another. And it must mean more, since it came from a mage. "I seriously used to hate it, y'know. The thought that there were people out there that could rival the powers of the Gods... and that those people weren't me."

"And now?"

"Well... now that it is me... I'm kinda scared I'll abuse that power."

"Uhh..."

"Never mind. I'll, uh... I'll tell you and Jo later."

"Not Mish?"

"She knows. And I already taught her."

The chestnut-haired mage shoots a glare towards her wife, and finds that the puppy, who could obviously hear the conversation even though she was twenty metres away, was pointedly looking away at the moment. "Did you, now."

"It ain't hard. Rather... it's terrifyingly easy when put in the proper context."

"W-what is it?"

"I'll tell you later."

"Why don't you tell me now?"

"You're joking, right?"